Sometimes luck happens
(10-18-2019, 09:58 AM)TGW Wrote: The modern urbanized or suburbanized lifestyle all over the western world and particularly in America is  heavily based on consumerism where everything is supposed to be new and shiny and costly and disposable.
The rural lifestyle in Österbotten in Finland where I live alsao contains a sizeable streak of consumerism yet to a lesser degree.

Anyway lack of money shoiuld not prewent anyone with some spare time from having a fullfilling hobby or to tool up for a carreer as a craftsman. When it does there is something wrong in society. You only need a knife and a spoon knife and a grindstone and some scraps of birch to whittle hundreds of spoons.
You only need a simple fan and a piece of railway rail and a hammer and a pair of tongs and access to a scrap yard and acess to some scrap timber which can be turned to coal and then you can pretty much forge all the tools you need for blacksmithing and then everything you need for handtool woodworking.

Myself I have had to go the frugal route due to a very limited supply of money. I now have a pretty much a fully eqipped professional workshop geared towards custom doors and windows and built in cabinetry at less than the cost of a typical suburban hobby workshop in the consumerist culture. Worn out or outdated industrial machines rebuilt and modernized to high standards using mostly scrap yard materials. Secondhand hand tools found at flea markets and repaired.
A little money can go far in you have time and determination. One just needs to think outside the consumerist box.

Very true. Often, people want immediate. They have no idea if they wish to actually use their toys(for that is often how it starts), have no actual idea of what can be done in a shop, nor do they know which tools to use/buy. I've seen people spend a couple thousand dollars just to discover they don't like the process. I've seen two fellows get into woodworking only to quit because finishing was too difficult or they just did not like it.

I followed the same path for a while before finding WoodNet and learning about value/etc. I started because we needed furniture I could not buy(size/price) and found I could make. My friend is way too cheap(his words) to buy equipment necessary to do ma job well. He admits he cannot do 'real' woodworking(has helped/watched me), so just wants to putter. He is building an armoire using reclaimed oak flooring(staples and all), just gluing the planks together. Why? Was free material. Heck, it was even delivered free. So far, he has four weeks(calendar time) in two sides and I had to show him his circular saw blade(no idea how old it is) was so dull it was impossible to cut a straight line. He was using a drywall Tsquare for making the cut lines(was off an eight of an inch in 32"), stacked the sides to cut(but did not reverse one) and using a Harbor Freight clamping guide(which could not hold against the dull blade skewing) and had made three attempts at making one cut. Said he saw no reason to buy a new blade since the old one cut, but he did not know how. New $6 circ saw blade, proper measuring, mirror the two sides, use the HF clamp and ZIP! He just shook his head.

I am proud of him for trying, and learning, and advancing. Just as long as I keep an eye on him.
Big Grin I told him I'd help making a door as long as he used new flooring---rip off T&G, joint and glue.

Oh, he built a dune buggy from scratch(only had help welding the frame) and later sold it for more than he had in it. And(with help) built a BBQ bus that slept 4 and entered contests all over(with sponsorship). Bought all the equipment by watching for good deals(two $5K smokers for $2500, the bus for $2500, me to build the cabinets for BBQ and so on.) He can do frugal---he is just cheap.
Laugh
You have to know what it is you're buying, if you want good value in used or cheap tools.   I am basically a frugal person most of the time, but some tools like Routers, Skill and Jig saws, just have to be good quality and cost more be they new or used.   The ole Saturday/Sunday Swap Meets are a good place to find bargains. 

I have several HF floor, bench and hand tools, and a 40 YO Brand X contractor saw, that have also been excellent performers for many,  many years.   After I welded up a Bies style T square fence for the TS it became an excellent tool.

I also have a fairly good array of old hand tools, that are just as convenient and useful as modern power tools.