CNC shark 2 any opinions
There’s one for sale local to me

Asking price is $3000 which seems high but I might be interested if I could get it for a little less.

Are these decent usable machines?

How do they compare to the tablesaw spectrum
Are we talking they are as frustrating as a bench top saw,
Decent middle of the road like a used contractor saw?

I can’t imagine they would be as high on the spectrum of utility and functionality as a cabinet saw.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance
Duke
I've had the black diamond edition  now for 5 years or so.  Works just fine.  Admittedly I don't use it as much as I should, I got into hand tools so my projects have changed up some, but the kids like to make stuff on it.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
I'd take a Carbide 3D unit over any of the CNC Shark gear I've seen.
Phil

I partially took your advice.

I found a shapeoko xl not the xxl semi local and got it for $800

No computer but does have router. Haven’t had a chance to hook it up yet.

But they also had a pirhana that I was able to pick up for $450

Also got the discs for bobcad v31 but without a key that will be virtually useless.

Now I need to get everything up and running

Any advice would be appreciated.

Duke
(10-22-2019, 11:41 AM)JDuke Wrote: There’s one for sale local to me

Asking price is $3000 which seems high but I might be interested if I could get it for a little less.

Are these decent usable machines?

How do they compare to the tablesaw spectrum
Are we talking they are as frustrating as a bench top saw,
Decent middle of the road like a used contractor saw?

I can’t imagine they would be as high on the spectrum of utility and functionality as a cabinet saw.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance
Duke

Duke

The Shark is nothing like a tablesaw it is a CNC cutting machine that either has a router attached or a buit in motor head and it is more like a carving machine than anything else.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/shark...NJEALw_wcB

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/cnc-s...DpEALw_wcB

Both have routers for the cutters.  Also the bits are one of the most important thing for this for a lot of variable cutting and first is the software.

Also note the prices on both of them.  Even if he has the $4k unit he is still asking to much and if he is selling the $3k unit he is asking for the same price as new.
If it is the first one I would say $2300 to $2500 if it is the second one than $1600 to $1900.  Last he might have an older model then both of these and if that is the case take off anther $500 on the prices I said.

Do you have a link to what you are buying??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin

I am aware of the difference between a Cnc router and a tablesaw.

I was asking about whether the shark is an entry level machine the way a bench top saw is with many of the same trade offs in level of function.

As of now, I have a shapeoko XL and a Piranha XL.

And am interested in any pointers on what type of projects to use it for as well as any good forums to get ongoing ideas.

Thank you
Duke
I'd run away from that Shark. Too much old tech and proprietary stuff there. Phil gave you great advice on Carbide3D

Adding a Laser and Spindle to mine this Christmas
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
(11-26-2019, 01:16 PM)JDuke Wrote: And am interested in any pointers on what type of projects to use it for as well as any good forums to get ongoing ideas.

Thank you
Duke

Sign up for the Carbide3D Community site. You'll find a ton of help and ideas there. When you're ready I recommend moving to Vectric Vcarve Desktop design software and they have a great site too
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
about the tablesaw analogy, I'd say it's a pretty good one.  You can do good work with a bench top tablesaw, and the same is true for a Shapoko.  The Shapoko and similar CNC is certainly one of the cheapest ways to build a CNC, and it can have issues.  Having said that, people are using them commercially and there is one guy on the Shapoko FB group that is making car parts out of aluminum with his.  I feel like he would probably be happier with a cnc mill for that, but it's working for him.
I had a CNC benchtop metal mill with Mach3 controller and just sold it earlier this year having never really made much with it due to the complexity of drawing in CAD transitioning to CAM then G code.

I have already made a few plaques with words engraved, and milled out several fleur de lis as exercise with the shapeoko.

My 14 y/o daughter has also shown interest and has worked with me on engraving a name in a board.

That’s already more in one week than 8-9 years, so I’d say the shapeoko is a success so far and with slow feed rates, it’s surprisingly accurate.

Duke