dust control
I use my sliding compound miter saw quite a bit in my basement shop.  Particularly with the wide arc, the thing makes a mess and I am in need of better dust control.  Any suggestions would be appreciated as always...FPT
(10-27-2019, 08:54 PM)fptahoe Wrote: I use my sliding compound miter saw quite a bit in my basement shop.  Particularly with the wide arc, the thing makes a mess and I am in need of better dust control.  Any suggestions would be appreciated as always...FPT

Thank you all for looking.  I think I will try to build or jimmy-rig some kind of hood, with dust collector hooked up.
That's what I built. A big box behind my slider, with a 6" DC connection.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

There are a lot of dust hoods for sale out there that get good reviews... Just do a web search for dust hoods for a miter saw...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopp...y&usqp=CAc
Does your saw have a dust collection port on the back of the shroud? If so, something like what http://this guy did at about 2:15 in the video might work. I did it on my DeWalt 12" Sliding CMS and it works very well.
I built a wooden shroud around it, but then ran a 4" flex to the discharge port on the saw and fastened it there. Works really well. Discharge goes straight into the 4", but the saw port is only 1 1/2 so plenty of air movement around that to suck in most of the dust that is not discharged directly. Hope that is clear.
https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7351041
(10-27-2019, 08:54 PM)fptahoe Wrote: I use my sliding compound miter saw quite a bit in my basement shop.  Particularly with the wide arc, the thing makes a mess and I am in need of better dust control.  Any suggestions would be appreciated as always...FPT

Here's what I did.... It's attached with a 4" port to a cheap wall mounted DC. It doesn't do a great job getting the dust into the bag, but it keeps the dust in the hood. Every once in a while I have to clean out the box with the shop vac. Use gravity as much as you can. I made the 'doors' adjustable so I can use the full range of angles but keep them as shut as possible for 90 deg cuts. It's not perfect, but it works well enough that making improvements/ upgrades hasn't been a high priority.

Attached Files Image(s)

I built a seven foot long hood over both my RAS and SCMS which also extends extends 6" beyond the rear edge of the table, and slopes from both ends down to a central collection point.   A 6" diameter hose carries the saw dust to the main pipe and on to the cyclone/collector. A few short blasts of air to push the remaining dust into the hood and on to the DC, with virtually no dust in the air. 

[Image: P3290005-L.jpg]