Chriz Schwarz Dump-On Site
I  found his writing style refreshing. I studied his workbench book before building mine. Didn't follow all of his advice but found most of it very useful..

I agree we shouldn't use WoodNet to tear someone down. (I get enough of that from LOML!)

Chris has been a BIGF influence on woodworking. If you don't like his work, go find someone else to emulate. I, for one, find him interesting, funny, and knowledgeable
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
As far as I'm concerned, its enough for me to have had Chris note that at least this forum pays attention, and has opinions; perhaps of a character and depth that he feels he has to see what people around here have to say. So its a plug, really...

I'm sure Chris would agree that he doesn't have all the answers, that there is more than a dozen ways to skin a cat and that he, along with others of equal repute in the blog business, like Sellers and his Aldi chisels, have their brain farts from time to time. But if you don't experiment every once in a while, what's the point.

I also think that a plywood chair, if you roll your own plywood from interesting species, has some merit. Commercial plywood, for me, doesn't work so much.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
His woodworking is like everybody else's. We all want to carve out our own sryle. But is he still hard selling the stickers and the like? Haven't visited his blog for a long time.

Simon
(10-30-2019, 07:53 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I thought that Chris' comment was hilarious!
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

+1
Laugh 

(10-30-2019, 08:46 AM)Rob Young Wrote: And he probably paid at least the $6 required too.

Laugh
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-30-2019, 09:51 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: His woodworking is like everybody else's. We all want to carve out our own sryle. But is he still hard selling the stickers and the like? Haven't visited his blog for a long time.

Simon

It is (one of) his daughter(s) that sells the stickers, funding for college/grad school tuition.  He just posts designs and signals in blog posts that new batches are available. Bigger scale, but essentially the same as if he took his daughter's cookie-sales-order-sheet to work and left it in the break room. Sticker graphics from multiple sources, no idea of remuneration for designs but very likely it does exist.

WN is as good a place as any for complaint lodging. I'd like to submit complaints that my hat is too small and my back hurts.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(10-30-2019, 12:36 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Bigger scale, but essentially the same as if he took his daughter's cookie-sales-order-sheet to work and left it in the break room. Sticker graphics from multiple sources, no idea of remuneration for designs but very likely it does exist.

Of course, not the same. There's no following in existence in the break room, is there? One is an active mode of marketing, one passive. It's day and night.

Simon
(10-30-2019, 12:48 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Of course, not the same. There's no following in existence in the break room, is there? One is an active mode of marketing, one passive. It's day and night.

Simon

I'd define a blog passive marketing. Print advertising is also passive. TV & radio, also passive. 

Passive marketing uses "customer service and smart positioning" to quote a few different web sites that are pushing marketing strategies.  Perhaps I'll drop this cookie order form on the table and see what happens...

Active marketing is a sales force, face-to-face strategy. I'm going to march my daughter door-to-door with the cookie order form and see what happens...

Cold-calling, networking, sales conventions/trade shows would be active marketing.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(10-30-2019, 01:24 PM)Rob Young Wrote: I'd define a blog passive marketing. Print advertising is also passive. TV & radio, also passive. 

Passive marketing uses "customer service and smart positioning" to quote a few different web sites that are pushing marketing strategies.  Perhaps I'll drop this cookie order form on the table and see what happens...

Active marketing is a sales force, face-to-face strategy. I'm going to march my daughter door-to-door with the cookie order form and see what happens...

Cold-calling, networking, sales conventions/trade shows would be active marketing.

Then there is "Influencer" marketing.....  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influencer_marketing
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Active=A consious effort is made...like actively (and or repeatedly) mentioning or blogging about it.

Passive=The cookie form left on the table or a business card pinned on a notice board by the cooler.

I know I'd have to pay someone to do active marketing for me...but not the passive one. At least that's my definition.

Simon
For me, as a lover of books, I appreciate what Lost Arts Press has done and hope it continues for many years into the future. Some you can pick up and read at various spots, others you read cover to cover, start to finish.

I much prefer the printed word versus my iPad screen anyday!

Woodnet as his complaint department? If it is, he should make his announcement down in the basement!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com