Types of Screws?
Never use drywall screws for hanging cabinets. About 10 years ago while still working an insurance adjuster sent me to a home where a whole wall of upper cabinets had come off the wall. A contractor was installing new siding and heard an awful crash while putting siding on that exterior wall. After doing my inspection I determined there was a screw of sufficient length into each stud. They were drywall screws and had snapped. Possibly some were snapped during installation or the pounding caused 1 to fail and it just got worse from there. No way to tell. The contractors liability paid the claim. Itis very easy to put a WHOLE lot of weight in uppers if filled with dishes. I do woodturning and will never use drywall screws for faceplates. They are good for their designed use, I just do not trust them for anything else.
For utility use, I'll go with the coated deck screws, phillips, that I get at the Borg.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Construction screws for the most part. I do have the square drive flat head screws when I think the wood may split.

I'll use drywall screws but remove them and fill the hole after the glue sets up (Where it's difficult to clamp). I have built quite a few pieces this way with no screws or nails in them at all.
It can be costly, but I try a pound in a brand for my favorite Phillips--Boeing uses the best bits ever made. If the screws don't twist apart, I buy a bunch (big boxes). If one does shear the whole box is tossed and I go elsewhere for a different brand. Obviously, substrate needs to be assessed objectively. 

It's that simple.
I'm a Spax screw guy.

Easy to get (amazon, home centers, highland hardware, etc)

Can use a phillips or square drive bit with them.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(10-30-2019, 10:31 AM)KLaz Wrote: https://www.wwhardware.com/ultimate-squa...ws-8-scus8

My favorite place too.  What always amazes me is if you order two hinges or 1000 screws the order is always correct.

McFeely's has moved from NC to just west of Cincinnati and is somehow associated with Midwest Dowel / Atlas Dowel. I've bought a lot of wood products from the dowel companies, but I've not yet ordered from McFeely's.

>> Can use a phillips or square drive bit with them.
Oh I hate these, don't seem to work well with either.
I’m using mostly Spax screws. I bought boxes of either 1000 or 500 in different sizes a few years ago and I’ve yet to run out.

I still have a few hundred 1-1/4” drywall screws leftover from a torsion box assembly years ago I use for more utilitarian needs.

I guess I don’t use a lot of screws.

Spax has worked very well. I love the square drive heads.

Mike
I use CS hardware for screws and drawer slides. Screws are good quality and well priced in bulk.
-Marc

When I need to purchase screws, I now buy Spax. Found them by accident and now Spax is replacing my screw supply as needed.
(10-30-2019, 02:09 PM)John Mihich Wrote: I go to Ace for most of my screws.  A little more than big box stores but they have good selection.  I use only square and star heads now.  I will not use dry wall screws just because I have broken a few.

Other than for drywall applications the only reason to use drywall screws is that they are cheap.  All other screws are superior.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.