Types of Screws?
(10-30-2019, 07:06 PM)packerguy® Wrote: I'm a Spax screw guy.

Easy to get (amazon, home centers, highland hardware, etc)

Can use a phillips or square drive bit with them.

I bought a case of each of those (1-1/4 and 1-1/2), my most used size, thinking they would be the cats meow since I use both phillips and square drive.
They work ok with the square driver, but bum out with the phillips.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I thought the Spax screws were Torx head. Is that not the case?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-31-2019, 01:38 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I thought the Spax screws were Torx head. Is that not the case?

Not always.  Spax are available in combo square phillips and Torx. I think the new trend is towards torx.
(10-31-2019, 01:18 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I bought a case of each of those (1-1/4 and 1-1/2), my most used size, thinking they would be the cats meow since I use both phillips and square drive.
They work ok with the square driver, but bum out with the phillips.

Well I signed up for McFeely's a few days ago and they sent me a coupon code for free shipping and a box of 25 free screws. I just ordered a good variety enough for a year + so I'm good to go. I like the square drive best. Drywall screws break and strip too easy and the plated crap at the box stores do the same. I can't wait to get back to work and smell sawdust. I will be ordering my Grizzly tablesaw next week. I went with the Hybrid G0771Z. They have a $50 gift card that I will use to order the mobile base. Wxcept for a few odds and ends I'm ready to go. 

Thanks for all the assistance the past few weeks.

Mike
Sounds good........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Fastenall will order square heads for you.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
I used to buy at my local Ace, but their prices went a little crazy a couple years ago so I started lookin' around. One of the best selections I found for wood screws is Woodworker's Supply. I've been buying from them for 25 years, or so, but it's just been within the last year it seems that they've upped their game on screws. Their whole website has improved, quite honestly. And the prices are quite competitive....

Two pennies worth...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Ace Hardware in my town will "wear you out" on screws, i.e. you will be "screwed" buying screws from Ace - prices waaaaay too high. I've now gone to torx headed screws exclusively. I probably don't have as frequent and sophisticated need as some others here, but have had good luck at HD.

Doug
(10-31-2019, 11:48 AM)Cooler Wrote: Other than for drywall applications the only reason to use drywall screws is that they are cheap.  All other screws are superior.

Yes, as others have pointed out they are brittle

Most commonly available in Phillips that tend to cam out (by design)

They also have threads all the way up to the head, so they don't work well to draw two pieces together unless you have a grossly large pilot hole drilled in the upper piece.

Three strikes and you're out a far as I'm concerned.  Oh, and they have a "bugle head" that does not exactly match up with most countersinks.