Christmas Present for 8 year old Boy
Toys and Joys has cool truck and jeep plans.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Wooden sword. My kids are crazy about theirs.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(11-01-2019, 05:53 AM)5thumbs Wrote: One of my grandchildren is 8 years old and I'm stumped with what to make for him for Christmas. I'd already made a bank, a rocking horse, a toy box, and a bunch of small toys when he was younger but I'm coming up dry for this year. I was hoping the brilliant minds on here might have some suggestions. I thought about a clothes tree but I can't see an 8-year old getting too excited about a place to hang clothes!

Thanks in advance

Small bench or tool and then use it to build something with him.

If doing a bench, consider the Clear Spring Elementary Workbench.

Marshmallow catapult is a nice project.  (even better if he and a friend build together)

Tools...  tape measure or backsaw might be good starters...

Matt
Is he into Lego? You can make a play table with a removable lid and some storage bins. A lip around the table helps keep all the pieces under control, and not all over the floor. If you want to use the table for something  else, put the lid on without having to pack all the Lego away.
(11-02-2019, 05:07 PM)ianab Wrote: Is he into Lego? You can make a play table with a removable lid and some storage bins. A lip around the table helps keep all the pieces under control, and not all over the floor. If you want to use the table for something  else, put the lid on without having to pack all the Lego away.

Oh, that is a good suggestion!
Grandpa Amu on YT makes some great stuff for kids
I made my 8-yr old grandson a box. A little larger than a cigar box with finger jointed edges. This is for all the treasures he will accumulate. He slept with it the first night.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
Thanks, everyone, for all the great suggestions.  Since the 1st of October, I've made 4 end grain cutting boards, 8 Krazy Quilt cutting boards, 3 doll bunk beds, and an offset shelf set. (Pics to come as soon as I catch my breath!) 

My 8-year old grandson's project is next. I like the idea of a "treasure box" - it would help him keep his room a little neater. (This would also earn kudos from his mother.)

Thanks, again - I knew Woodnet would come through.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
I made boxes for all the family for Christmas two Christmases back, not counting this one, which placed my daughter at seven and a half.  Her box was simple, made from walnut and cherry.  Dimensions are of a deep pencil box, but with a lid and base that ended up looking more like a sarcophagus.  She absolutely loved it.  Still does.  All of her prized small knick knacks are stored in it.

It's the long one in the upper right.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Nicely done!  I can see why she would cherish it. All those who received those boxes are lucky people.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!