Let's talk about Balusters
I'm restoring a Victorian house and would like to replace my porch railings (which are simple turned spindle balusters) with flat sawn balusters similar to the one in this picture.  I figure I'll need around 50 of them which would be very costly if I purchased them from some of the suppliers I've found in internet searches.  So, being a woodworker, I thought I might try cutting the patterns out myself.  Has anyone done this and if so can give me some guidance or tips?  I'm also wondering if a CNC machine could crank these out?

Tim

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-04-2019, 09:56 AM)TFM Wrote: I'm restoring a Victorian house and would like to replace my porch railings (which are simple turned spindle balusters) with flat sawn balusters similar to the one in this picture.  I figure I'll need around 50 of them which would be very costly if I purchased them from some of the suppliers I've found in internet searches.  So, being a woodworker, I thought I might try cutting the patterns out myself.  Has anyone done this and if so can give me some guidance or tips?  I'm also wondering if a CNC machine could crank these out?

Tim

Depends on what pattern you like, this one [Image: how-to-build-flat-sawn-baluster-railings...C898&ssl=1]
would be easy to cut out.    Roly
pattern following bit with a router to clean up blanks you rough cut with a jig saw.  It will just take a bit of persistence.  Make a decent pattern and get to work.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(11-04-2019, 01:26 PM)Splinter Puller Wrote: pattern following bit with a router to clean up blanks you rough cut with a jig saw.  It will just take a bit of persistence.  Make a decent pattern and get to work.

Splinter, I have very little experience with (electric) routers.  What is a pattern following bit?
(11-04-2019, 01:26 PM)Splinter Puller Wrote: pattern following bit with a router to clean up blanks you rough cut with a jig saw.  It will just take a bit of persistence.  Make a decent pattern and get to work.

Never mind Splinter, I saw some examples on Utube.  Me thinks the key to this is an extremely smooth and accurate pattern.  Thanks for the tip!
Mark one, then stack 4-5 together and bandsaw those all at once. Repeat......
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020