Veneer on outfeed table
When shopping at places that sell the 4x8 plastic laminate sheets, I frequently check them out and see if they have any in the stack that are damaged. Sometimes, the bottom ones will have broken corners or worse. If I find one, I'll find a store manager and tell him/her that I will buy it if the give me a good break on the price. I have gotten some very very good prices that way and I can usually work around or cut away such breaks. For a work table or out-feed table, smooth seams don't matter.
Veneer would be such a waste on a work/assembly table, I think.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If you are anything like myself the work surfaces of your shop tend to get cluttered and projects get glued up where there is room. Glue scrapes off formica easily. Oil or other chemicals clean up with no effect.  I wouldn't imagine that is the case with wood veneer. Also formica does not scratch up or get gouged like veneer in daily use.

I would look for some cheap laminate. Our local lumber yard has a small collection of special order colors that were never picked up or the wrong color. They sell these for half price. I have salmon color formica on my table saw wing and out-feed. Fifteen years later it still looks and functions like the day it was glued down. Kind of ugly but great in function.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(11-07-2019, 06:41 AM)KyleD Wrote: If you are anything like myself the work surfaces of your shop tend to get cluttered and projects get glued up where there is room. Glue scrapes off formica easily. Oil or other chemicals clean up with no effect.  I wouldn't imagine that is the case with wood veneer. Also formica does not scratch up or get gouged like veneer in daily use.

I would look for some cheap laminate. Our local lumber yard has a small collection of special order colors that were never picked up or the wrong color. They sell these for half price. I have salmon color formica on my table saw wing and out-feed. Fifteen years later it still looks and functions like the day it was glued down. Kind of ugly but great in function.
Good point KyleD. I have enough formica for the side table, but I had the do it with 2 pieces. It went pretty well for side table. If the dimensions require me to cut and use 2 pieces, I'll make the seam as far away from the TS.
Seams should be ok provided you can find some contact adhesive that works like it should. I made the mistake of trying the water based stuff a couple of years ago and it did not end well at all. Luckily I can still find the solvent based adhesive around here.
I would lightly sand the edges of the laminate that butt together. Just to ever so slightly round the sharp edges to prevent catches or chipping as things slide across. As well as the traditional contact adhesive works, I would not be worried about the seams otherwise.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(11-08-2019, 06:35 AM)KyleD Wrote: Seams should be ok provided you can find some contact adhesive that works like it should. I made the mistake of trying the water based stuff a couple of years ago and it did not end well at all. Luckily I can still find the solvent based adhesive around here.
I would lightly sand the edges of the laminate that butt together. Just to ever so slightly round the sharp edges to prevent catches or chipping as things slide across. As well as the traditional contact adhesive works, I would not be worried about the seams otherwise.

I use contact cement with great results in the past and present