Mortise and Tenon Calculator
I've just added a mortise and tenon calculator to blocklayer.com some of you may find useful.

It's pretty basic, but might help in visualizing the layout of the joint, with scaled (and full scale) animated diagrams.
You can select between a single centred tenon, 2 tenons horizontally and 2 tenons vertically, and set tenon thickness, shoulder width etc, with sliders to animate the diagrams and see the results with possible tenon and mortise spacing.

Please let me know if it needs editing, additions or fixing in any way.

It lives here: https://www.blocklayer.com/woodjoints/mo...oneng.aspx

Pretty neat - thanks for posting!
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
Not all mortises are centered. Nor tenons.

Not all mortises are at right angles to the work. And same for tenons.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I would also add that typically one only needs one reference face and one reference edge to layout a mortise or a tenon so having a zillion measurements on the drawing isn't always helpful.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(11-05-2019, 01:38 PM)Rob Young Wrote: I would also add that typically one only needs one reference face and one reference edge to layout a mortise or a tenon so having a zillion measurements on the drawing isn't always helpful.

agreed.

as a software engineer, I think it's pretty cool little utility you've made here.  As a woodworker, I'm having trouble envisioning the need for it.
I think it's useful for folks designing production type joints.  I would add a capability to do metric measurements, since most of the world uses metric and not Imperial measurements.

Also, plywood is typically not a standard thickness in 8ths of an inch, so add the capability to put nominal plywood thicknesses in the calculator.  You'd be surprised how much furniture is made with Baltic Birch ply.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Will look at off centred tenons. The Metric versions are above the 'Inch' tabs in the navigation (a bit confusing, sorry)

'As a woodworker, I'm having trouble envisioning the need for it.' 
I'd always thought it a bit trivial myself, but people kept suggesting it, so I thought it might be worthwhile for someone just starting out, to visualize the layout. (like the dovetail calculators)
And sometimes these things 'grow' to be more useful after a bit of critique and suggestions from those that use them.
(11-05-2019, 08:51 PM)Blocklayer Calcs Wrote: Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Will look at off centred tenons. The Metric versions are above the 'Inch' tabs in the navigation (a bit confusing, sorry)

'As a woodworker, I'm having trouble envisioning the need for it.' 
I'd always thought it a bit trivial myself, but people kept suggesting it, so I thought it might be worthwhile for someone just starting out, to visualize the layout. (like the dovetail calculators)
And sometimes these things 'grow' to be more useful after a bit of critique and suggestions from those that use them.

Despite your explanations I still have not figured out how to use the metric , despite your explanation that the metric versions are above the inch tabs. Dont know what that means.  How about using a toggle button for inch or metric, or a radio button .Hope you take this as constructive criticism.
(11-06-2019, 12:47 AM)Vijay Wrote: Despite your explanations I still have not figured out how to use the metric , despite your explanation that the metric versions are above the inch tabs. Dont know what that means.  How about using a toggle button for inch or metric, or a radio button .Hope you take this as constructive criticism.

In the navigation menu at top of each page, the main (larger) tabs are for Metric.
Under each main Metric tab is a smaller tab labelled 'Inch' for the Imperial (Feet and Inch) version.
The currently selected tab has a blue background. If you're in the Imperial version, find the blue background 'Inch' selected tab and click the tab directly above it for the Metric version.

I've tried various methods over the years, to select either Metric or Imperial site wide, but never found anything that didn't cause more problems than it was worth.
And strangely enough, some people use Metric for certain tasks and Imperial for others (I still refer to a persons height in feet and inches, and we went Metric in the 70s)
So it's all in together (for now)
Sorry for the confusion, it drives me mad too.
Now if only the US would go Metric  .........  One day  ....  maybe .....  Please???
Nice & well thought out. But, my calculator consists of sand paper and a chisel.  
Big Grin