DYI jointer table extension
LOML asked me to build a king size bed which has rails that are 80” and 76” long. I’ve never worked material anywhere near that long and the rough cherry stock we bought definitely needed jointing. My Griz G0490’s infeed table is 43” long, nowhere near long enough for me of little talent to be able to joint 84" long boards. I know that experienced guys can joint longer material on short tables but I don't fall into the experienced category. After some head scratching and maybe a brew or three I came up with this solution.

Side by side sawhorses with ¼”-20 hex head bolts threaded into the stringer at each leg.

Then a piece of straight ¾” BB ply on top of the bolt heads. I used a 6’ level and a feeler gage to adjust the bolts up or down to locate the ply coplanar with the infeed.

The first board rocked a lot on the table so I used a wooden wedge on one side to take up about half of the rock. I’ve done this before and let the jointer eat the wedge.

So far this has worked well for all of the rails. I wrote the height of each bolt next to the hole so it will be easy to set up next time around.

Thanks for looking,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(11-10-2019, 09:09 PM)shoottmx Wrote: LOML asked me to build a king size bed which has rails that are 80” and 76” long. I’ve never worked material anywhere near that long and the rough cherry stock we bought definitely needed jointing. My Griz G0490’s infeed table is 43” long, nowhere near long enough for me of little talent to be able to joint 84" long boards. I know that experienced guys can joint longer material on short tables but I don't fall into the experienced category. After some head scratching and maybe a brew or three I came up with this solution.

Side by side sawhorses with ¼”-20 hex head bolts threaded into the stringer at each leg.

Then a piece of straight ¾” BB ply on top of the bolt heads. I used a 6’ level and a feeler gage to adjust the bolts up or down to locate the ply coplanar with the infeed.

The first board rocked a lot on the table so I used a wooden wedge on one side to take up about half of the rock. I’ve done this before and let the jointer eat the wedge.

So far this has worked well for all of the rails. I wrote the height of each bolt next to the hole so it will be easy to set up next time around.

Thanks for looking,

Glad your extension worked out for you. I want to add that precision on the extension isn't necessary. I have clamped a scrap of wood under the outfeed table. Then screwed a board to the piece clamped to the table. Probably have to shim for height at the table. Then added a support of some type to the extension end. I generally use a roller stand under the board . Keep the outfeed end higher than it should be. Maybe an inch if the outfeed board is long, like over 5'-0" long. This helps to prevent snipe. Your manual probably suggests the outfeed table should be a bit higher at the end of the table. Often the manual will say .004 / .006 higher.
mike
Very cool execution. I have a short bed jointer for which I have been considering a similar solution. Haven’t gotten around to putting it into practice yet though.
I keep a pair of these on hands for this purpose

Attached Files Image(s)

Good idea there.

I joint 10' alot on my 490
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Great solution. I like the tip on using a wooden wedge under the board too. Thanks for sharing.