HANDTOOLS: Boring; Braces, Eggbeaters, Bit Sets, etc.
As promised, here's a second installment of quality user tools that I would own. In a day or so I'll be posting planes, check out what's left in my prior post.
Initially, all prices are plus shipping, and I don't have paypal or any other EFT, so payment by USPS money order please.

Descriptions are in order of the pics found in a Flickr album, here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...1770385186

Let's start with braces. First up are two yankee 2101s, without doubt the best brace ever made, nothing comparable now on the market. From left to right, a 12" Throw 2101A,SOLD made after Stanley acquired North Bros; then a 10" throw 2101  SOLD , original North Bros Manufacture, this one marked "Bell System" and you know ATT only bought the best for its linemen. These are not cosmetically excellent, but you can't kill these braces, and they are both 100% mechanically, so with an apology for the loss of nickle plating, take your pick for $40 each, an excellent value.
Teaser pic:

[Image: 49061398318_2c6139e7e6_b.jpg]

Next, from left to right, a 10" throw vintage Craftsman SOLD (looks like Millers Falls manufacture), crisp, good wood, enclosed ratchet, great brace; next is a 10" Stanley 945, SOLD venerable model, in very nice condition; both work like they should and are 100% mechanically, take your pick for $20. To the extreme left is a very handy 8" throw, nice size for controlled boring, Stanley #921, SOLD not often found and I don't find many of these, unique ratcheting knob/wheel, $25.  Teaser pic:

[Image: 49061398243_18e97c2a0a_b.jpg]

Now for the eggbeaters; first up are a truly vintage Millers Falls #2, one of the best designs ever, this one is from the '20s, solid wood handle, chuck works like it should, bit storage in the handle, the model everyone wants. Missing side chef's knob, so that is the apology, smooth action, yours for $35. The one on the top is an early 50's vintage Stanley#624, very crisp, side knob, handle solid, smooth action and chuck excellent, will give good service in the shop, yours for $30. teaser pic:
[Image: 49061398168_d2daae0478_b.jpg]

Next are two Millers Falls #77 drills, one redder than the other, again, both have side handles, chuck works just as it should, wood solid. Take your pick for $23 each. teaser pic;  BOTH SOLD

[Image: 49061936231_14d488972b_b.jpg]

Next is a Stanley #59 Doweling Jig for use with brace bits, all original and complete with 6 sleeves, as well as the original manual (the box was totally trashed) but it was well kept by the owner. Rather crisp, excellent condition, yours for $35.  Pic:  SOLD
[Image: 49061909211_363ff15a4d_b.jpg]

Next are two Irwin #2 adjustable bits, these will drill holes from 7/8 to 3", very handy addition to your boring kit; one is a bit earlier in the original cardboard box , the other is in a plastic sleeve, they are identical, and both are in excellent condition complete with the two spur inserts. Take your pick for $22. Tell me if you want the box or plastic one.  BOTH SOLD Pic:
[Image: 49062131427_973b01160f_b.jpg]

Next up are bit sets. Now, all of these bits have flute life, and the lead screws are not buggered up; they have been well kept by the original owners. Check out the closeups of the flutes and lead screws. All are Irwin pattern bits (except in the wood box set, where I substituted a Jennings pattern bit as the #10 was missing). All will give good user service.

The first is a 'short' set of 6 bits in a sleeve roll. #5, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14, most commonly used. Yours for $35.  SOLD Teaser pic:
[Image: 49061909151_6cd1f4bce9_b.jpg]

Next is a complete set - #4 through #16, in a plastic roll, mostly Irwin manufacture, a couple were of other manufacture that I filled in to make the set complete, but all were well cared for. Yours for $70.  SOLD Teaser pic:
[Image: 49062131717_e34b4fa1f4_b.jpg]

Last is a wooden boxed set of Irwin pattern bits, again, i filled in the #10 with a Jennings pattern (actually better than Irwin) as well as one or two others to make the set complete. Box is pretty ratty on the outside, but holds the bits, and does have the cool feature of a swing out drawer for the larger bits. Again, check out the closeups of the lead screws and flutes, and you'll see the value here. Yours for $70. SOLD Teaser pic:
[Image: 49061908836_0fb5de1ffb_b.jpg]

First PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority. Remember, I don't have paypal, so payment by USPS money order please, unless I know you from the forum then checks are just fine, and please include your name and shipping address so I can print shipping labels and box up the tools or I lose track of all the orders, after all, I'm gettin' old

Quality tools that I would own, priced reasonably for users.
Thanks for looking.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've marked sold items in bold.

The two Millers Falls #77 eggbeaters are now $20 each, great drill, and smaller size if you're putting together a tool kit for youngsters; the two Irwin #2 adjustable bits are now $15 each.
Those MF #77 drills really fly under the radar, as collectors don’t value them like they do, in particular, the #2 and #5. Having said that, I’ve found my #77 to be a real workhorse. The handles don’t have a ferrule system that splits and becomes loose like many of the MF drills, and the rest of the drill gets the same quality parts, including the chucks. I wouldn’t limit them to a youngster’s toolkit-they are only slightly smaller in size to the MF #1 and #5. Theses were a bargain at the original price, now they are a steal at the new price.

#1, #77, #5

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-15-2019, 10:36 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: Those MF #77 drills really fly under the radar . . . .

They certainly do; I've got one in my traveling kit, for when I visit my buddy in his cabin upstate NY (power is spotty....).  And the chucks are indeed quality....
PM sent for Millers Falls 77 and Stanley 59.

Frank S in Iowa
The 12" throw 2101 Bell System brace now $35 plus shipping, a deal for someone.

Take your pick of the two Irwin adjustable brace bits for $15 plus shipping.
(11-21-2019, 06:33 PM)Admiral Wrote: The 12" throw 2101 Bell System brace now $35 plus shipping, a deal for someone.

Take your pick of the two Irwin adjustable brace bits for $15 plus shipping.

12" 2101 is sold, and the Irwin adjustable bit in the box is sold, the other still available.

Still got some nice eggbeaters.....
If you still have a brace and an adjustable bit available, I'd like to buy them. Pm on the way
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
All sold except for the two eggbeaters, the Stanley and the MF #2, both reasonably priced, nice Christmas gift for a youngster.....
Can you retire this thread (with header notice) and start a new one? Thanks. It's getting messy with all the SOLD volume.