Colonial Homestead, Millersburg OH
The Mrs. and I recently took a trip to Amish country in Holmes county OH. While there, we stopped at the Colonial Homestead which I learned about from a blog post on Lost Art Press (link). The place is very impressive. I would highly recommend it to anybody passing by. I was surprised to find a wide range of qualities and prices for the tools; restoration projects, fine tuned and polished, and everything in between. 

While there the owner asked if I needed help and where I heard about the store. I mentioned that I saw it on the Lost Art Press blog. He then said "I have something to show you". He took me to the front of the store to a book case with a wide selection of Lost Art Press books. I told him I was familiar with the books and had read many of them. He then picked up a copy of "Ingenious Mechanics".  I told him that I had already read it and had a low bench on the short list of next projects. He flipped to the first low bench project in the book and said "you see this bench... its in the back of the store. What to try it?"

He said that Chris had given it to him. He then gave me a demonstration of some feature and what he liked and didn't like about it. He then let me try it and gave me some good general advice. It was awesome to use. I will definitely make one now. All and all, I think he spent about 1.5 hours with me showing me different techniques. He even offered to give me lessons the next day if I came back. It was tempting, but given that I was on my first vacation with my wife away from the kids in the 3 years, I passed. It was an awesome experience and about the best customer service I've ever had. 

If you stop by make sure you bring cash or a check. I was unprepared and had limited cash, but I walked out with an awesome hewing hatchet for me and a boy scout hatchet for my 9 y/o.
Great report, and what a great act on Chris Schwarz's part, donating the bench to the Homestead.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Dan is a great person to work with. I have been teaching WW at the Artisan guild (which Dan started) for a year now. A few weeks ago the first Artisans fair was held in Millersburg, it was great to see all of the different trades that were represented. Because I was busy demoing I didn't get a chance to take any photos, however the IT guy is suppose to send me some. When I get them I post some. Also I just got the proposed schedule for next year, I will post a link when it is online.
Make sure to post your work and impressions on the Low Mechanicks bench!

I am almost thinking of making something like that.   To avoid spending $1500 on modern hardware
Smile
Chris