Has anyone used Old Masters Gel Polyurethane?
On a recent visit to my local Rockeler store, I was looking for my old favorite GF Arm-R-Seal and noticed a product new to me called Old Masters Gel Polyurethane. From the label I see some advantages to using it as opposed to traditional oil based poly – most obviously the fact that it is a wipe-on and buff-off product with no chance for drips and runs.

I am curious if anyone has used it and what your experiences were:
1) What consistency is it ?   Semi-liquid like most gel stains?   or more like paste waxes?
2) Does it dry up or skin over in the can like regular varnishes after  being opened?   or does it maintain its consistency like gel stains and paste waxes and not dry out?
3) Did you like the end results?   Any complaints or advice on how to use it?

While I like Arm-R-Seal (and I most often use it in wipe-on fashion), I can see some advantages to the Old Masters Gel Poly if it works as labeled. But if it is just another finish that dries up in the can, I can see where most of a can could go to waste before being used up.
Interested in any comments you may have.

Thanks in advance.
-wood2woodknot

I haven't used Old Master's Gel Poly but I have used Bartley's and General Finish Gel Poly, both worked very well I think that you will be happy with it. The consistency is similar to mayonnaise. I have found it dries very smooth, and dust rarely sticks to it. I think it dries hard enough quick enough that dust doesn't get a chance to settle in it while its wet. It will harden with a skin over it like any finish if air gets to it. It is easy to get a smooth end result with very little work. I find it much easier to work with than a brush on poly. try it on a few test pieces to get the hang of it but it will come to you quickly, its very easy to work with, just don't apply it thick, thin coats are best. 

Paul Mitzel
Thanks. I just finished my first two projects with gel stains and gel poly. Learning to keep it thin. Takes getting used to. Can be a little tricky with the darker stains. Not something to jump into without testing and practice in my opiBut isn't that what they say about everything?

I have not, but I found this review:

https://www.lumberjocks.com/reviews/3563
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-26-2020, 02:18 AM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Thanks. I just finished my first two projects with gel stains and gel poly. Learning to keep it thin. Takes getting used to. Can be a little tricky with the darker stains. Not something to jump into without testing and practice in my opiBut isn't that what they say about everything?

I've only used GF's Gel Urethane.  It worked OK, but then I found that it's easily damaged with nearly any liquid, including water if it's left on the surface for a few hours.  Cleaners containing ammonia are deadly on it.  Alcohol is similarly bad.  You get the idea.  It's probably OK for projects with low exposure to liquids or cleaners, but I don't live in a house like that so I don't use it anymore.  

John
(02-28-2020, 03:59 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I've only used GF's Gel Urethane.  It worked OK, but then I found that it's easily damaged with nearly any liquid, including water if it's left on the surface for a few hours.  Cleaners containing ammonia are deadly on it.  Alcohol is similarly bad.  You get the idea.  It's probably OK for projects with low exposure to liquids or cleaners, but I don't live in a house like that so I don't use it anymore.  

John

I used Arm-R-Seal as topcoat over GF gel stains. Hope that works. Arm-R-Seal has become my standby thanks to you and the tests you ran several years ago. The gel stains seemed too soft for me. Waiting for results from the test of time to prove out the combination.

(02-28-2020, 08:26 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: I used Arm-R-Seal as topcoat over GF gel stains. Hope that works. Arm-R-Seal has become my standby thanks to you and the tests you ran several years ago. The gel stains seemed too soft for me. Waiting for results from the test of time to prove out the combination.

I've used ARS over GF's gel stains several times w/o issue.  It's part of Jeff Jewitt's approach for the Stickley finishes on his website.  

Your comment about "the gel stains seemed to soft" got my attention though.  Gel stain needs to be wiped off really well, just like most other pigment stains.  The way to get deeper color is to apply multiple coats, but to wipe each off very well.  

John
(02-29-2020, 12:57 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I've used ARS over GF's gel stains several times w/o issue.  It's part of Jeff Jewitt's approach for the Stickley finishes on his website.  

Your comment about "the gel stains seemed to soft" got my attention though.  Gel stain needs to be wiped off really well, just like most other pigment stains.  The way to get deeper color is to apply multiple coats, but to wipe each off very well.  

John

Thanks again, John. Can always depend on you for learning something new.
I think I left the coats on too thick because they didn't seem to be covering right.
-ajh