Which one would get more use?
I am considering getting a spindle sander. In one of my searches a 16/32 drum sander showed up. I got to thinking, even though they are in totally different price worlds, I’d get far more use from the 16/32 drum sander than I would a spindle sander. Am I right or do I just want to spend more bucks?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Well, I have both and the DS does get more use in my shop. But it really depends on what you think a DS does and how it fits with your work. If you think it's a finishing tool you are in for a bit of a letdown. The drum sander (IME) isn't a finishing sander. I quit using grits above 150, and more often use 120. Once a piece goes through the DS it takes a fair amount of work to get the sanding marks out. So I tend to think of it as a very light cut planer, and it excels at leveling end grain stuff like cutting boards. It also generates mountains of very fine dust, and you need (IMHO) a good DC to catch and contain it. Mt spindle sander sees use on almost every curved piece I make, and it gets by with a shop vac.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-17-2019, 12:23 PM)stoppy Wrote: I am considering getting a spindle sander. In one of my searches a 16/32 drum sander showed up. I got to thinking, even though they are in totally different price worlds, I’d get far more use from the 16/32 drum sander than I would a spindle sander. Am I right or do I just want to spend more bucks?

My MAX oscillating spindle sander cost me $350 less than my 22/44 Performax drum sander, both bought used. I do get more use from the drum sander, but really need both.

[Image: max-1.jpg]
[Image: drum-sander-1.jpg]
Wood is good. 
(11-17-2019, 12:47 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Well, I have both and the DS does get more use in my shop. But it really depends on what you think a DS does and how it fits with your work. If you think it's a finishing tool you are in for a bit of a letdown. The drum sander (IME) isn't a finishing sander. I quit using grits above 150, and more often use 120. Once a piece goes through the DS it takes a fair amount of work to get the sanding marks out. So I tend to think of it as a very light cut planer, and it excels at leveling end grain stuff like cutting boards. It also generates mountains of very fine dust, and you need (IMHO) a good DC to catch and contain it. Mt spindle sander sees use on almost every curved piece I make, and it gets by with a shop vac.

Fred, I have an Oneida 2hp Cyclone and a couple of shop vacs, both currently hooked up to the belt/disk sander. I’m looking at making several end grain cutting boards.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(11-17-2019, 01:26 PM)stoppy Wrote: Fred, I have an Oneida 2hp Cyclone and a couple of shop vacs, both currently hooked up to the belt/disk sander. I’m looking at making several end grain cutting boards.

DS if your main purpose is to make cutting boards. Os. spindle sander is indispensable for edge/shaping or template work. I build mostly furniture and do not own a DS. I do all surface work with the planer or sanders or handplanes.

Simon
I have both, and the DS sees much more use.  It's also great for non-end grain cutting boards that are to wide for my lunch box planer.  As Fred mentioned, i also don't use mine for finish sanding, and a DS has a bit of a learning curve.  It's just too tempting to raise the table just a hair too early and burn your paper/wood.  The Ridgid OS is pretty reasonably priced, and would be much easier to save up for than a DS.  Just in case you needed help spending more money
Smile.
Where a DS really pays off is making your own veneers. It makes getting consistent thicknesses after sawing them easy peasy. Also works miracles on end grain cutting boards. I have both a spindle sander and drum sander and hardly ever use my spindle sander.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I want a DS.

I need my SS.
Semper fi,
Brad

I want a DS. I'll eventually build one.

I need my SS. I won't sell it.
Semper fi,
Brad

I agree with Allan Hill, a drum sander is indispensable if making shop-sawn veneers. I also like using a lot of figured wood and once I plane to approximate thickness I like to run it through a drum sander if I get any tear out. One piece of advise, if you get drum sander don't think it can be used as a planer. I see many people posting that their drum sander motor is underpowered but most of them are simply misusing it. It's a sander, it doesn't cut it sands.