Which one would get more use?
(11-22-2019, 10:06 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: One is more useful? I disagree. Apples and oranges. They don't do the same functions at all. Just like a tablesaw is neither more nor less useful than a circular saw.

Simon
A bit of semantics, perhaps but he did not ask which was more useful, but rather which was used more often.

A  table saw is used quite often, but if you needed to change a flat tire it would not be useful at all.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-22-2019, 12:07 PM)Cooler Wrote: A bit of semantics, perhaps but he did not ask which was more useful, but rather which was used more often.
I should've been more specific in my post; I was referring to this comment of yours: "I think it [edge sander] is far more useful than a spindle sander." 
Simon
(11-22-2019, 12:41 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I should've been more specific in my post; I was referring to this comment of yours: "I think it [edge sander] is far more useful than a spindle sander." 
Simon
In the illustration I posted, there is a table at the apex of the belt where there is a spindle of sorts.  While you could not sand the inside of a circle with it, you certainly could trace fairly  intricate contours. 

I have the Ridgid spindle sander, and while id comes with various size spindles, I primarily use the belt.

[Image: 17651_2F1469556658_2Fzreb4424__72318.148...80.jpg?c=2]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
This is off track but another form of sander that looks very useful - from Craig Thibodeau's shop in San Diego

https://www.instagram.com/p/B16hoJEhr1t/

Lonnie

P.S. Craig does really nice work and lately has been specializing in puzzle cabinets.  His website is www.CTFineFurniture.com.  I highly recommend his book on veneering.
(11-22-2019, 04:12 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: This is off track but another form of sander that looks very useful - from Craig Thibodeau's shop in San Diego

https://www.instagram.com/p/B16hoJEhr1t/

Lonnie

P.S. Craig does really nice work and lately has been specializing in puzzle cabinets.  His website is www.CTFineFurniture.com.  I highly recommend his book on veneering.

Would love that sander for my current Tumi Ishi block project.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
A drum sander would get more use in my shop.

I did need a larger spindle sander recently, and figured out how to use my Lathe for spindle sanding on the cheap.

You can see how here:
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I’m evidently in the minority here but I use my spindle sander WAY more than my drum sander.
-Marc

I have the Rigid and really like it.  I did give in to a Oscillating Handheld Spindle Sander with a 15% discount on Eagle America.  Have not used it yet, looks like the Triton.  It came with the table clamps too.  It was quite a bit cheaper than the Triton. Dan