Knife throwing target?
Has anyone made a knife throwing target? The target part is easy -- I'll cut 2x (whatever I bought, 10, I think?) into 3" lengths, glue them in rows with end grain exposed, then glue the rows together to make a rectangle. Probably about 2' wide by 30 - 36" tall. I can stick paper targets onto it. It's the stand i'm not sure about. I'd like to make something like an easel I can take out into the yard, and use to support the target a couple feet above ground.

I found this on a knife throwing site:

The Roland Zwosta design

But I'm not sure how the angled top is held together. I would think joinery. (?) Too much work. I am looking for something simple but sturdy, with bolts, screws, joist hangers, that kind of thing. Something I could bang out quickly, and then get back to real woodworking.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(11-17-2019, 10:18 PM)Aram Wrote: Has anyone made a knife throwing target? The target part is easy -- I'll cut 2x (whatever I bought, 10, I think?) into 3" lengths, glue them in rows with end grain exposed, then glue the rows together to make a rectangle. Probably about 2' wide by 30 - 36" tall. I can stick paper targets onto it. It's the stand i'm not sure about. I'd like to make something like an easel I can take out into the yard, and use to support the target a couple feet above ground.

The Roland Zwosta design

But I'm not sure how the angled top is held together. I would think joinery. (?) Too much work. I am looking for something simple but sturdy, with bolts, screws, joist hangers, that kind of thing. Something I could bang out quickly, and then get back to real woodworking.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hinges
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-17-2019, 10:43 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Hinges

Well that's just smart

Cool
Yes
Yes
Yes
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(11-17-2019, 10:47 PM)Aram Wrote: Well that's just smart

Cool
Yes
Yes
Yes

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-p...ref=256852
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-17-2019, 10:18 PM)Aram Wrote: Has anyone made a knife throwing target? The target part is easy -- I'll cut 2x (whatever I bought, 10, I think?) into 3" lengths, glue them in rows with end grain exposed, then glue the rows together to make a rectangle. Probably about 2' wide by 30 - 36" tall. I can stick paper targets onto it. It's the stand i'm not sure about. I'd like to make something like an easel I can take out into the yard, and use to support the target a couple feet above ground.

The Roland Zwosta design

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Never made a knife throwing target but made a target for air rifles. I tacked an old ceiling tile to a piece of plywood and used a picture of Adam Schiff for the target.
mike
When I was in college the dorm doors were solid core.

One of the students used the interior of the door as a knife throwing target.  His roommate complained.  He said at the very least that the door should be locked when he was doing his knife throwing.

He said, "Once I throw the knife, you cannot open the door quickly enough to get hit with a flying knife."  It is probably true but did not make his roommate feel any more secure.

He had to pay for a new door at the end of the year. 

End grain wood flooring is uniform in thickness.  I don't know if  you can order small quantities though.

Kaswell is the major player in that field:  http://kaswell.com/end-grain/

You could explain what you are using if for and see if they have any "seconds" to sell.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.