A sad post-note of HSB / Revonoc tools, I did not know
Interesting how a hobby can lead to new associations I didn't have before.

I had once used a vintage HSB Rev-O-Noc plane and it was functionally as nice as any Stanley or Sargent.   I remembered that Revonoc was the backward spelling of Conover.   Cursory reading of the HSB tool histories online suggested a heyday around 1920-1940, something like that.

Just last night I was reading an article about boating.   I was then stunned to read about the famous 1958 loss of a Conover family and their boat, the "Revonoc, Jr.":
https://www.si.com/vault/1958/01/20/5704...ate-at-sea

On another tangent, last summer I was in New England for a relative's wedding.   There was a sea-worn guy who had once run yachts for a "rich guy out of Chicago".   Then he said the rich guy's last name was Wacker, and he came out of the family for which Lower Wacker Drive was named.

- Chris
Chris
I have a #5 Revonoc. I'll pick it up before my #5 Stanley. I love the heavy, tapered blade in it.

Interesting article you posted
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Very tragic story of that family.

Another family company that I admire the products of is Vaughn and Bushnell  (V&B) of Chicago.  Their hand planes are very nice and are made of steel rather than cast iron.  I have not had one in my collection, but I remember forum member Slav (the file King of Chicago) had several to examine.  If anyone has a V&B to sell I would be interested.