Did I really need all those tools, or
I moved a couple of years ago. My shop used to occupy about 2/3 of a 3 car garage. I still have a 3 car garage, but because my HOA won't allow out-buildings, I have to store a lot of stuff (Christmas decorations, lawn & garden tools, etc.) in the garage. So, I have almost zero room for large tools. I am probably going to part ways with my PM2000 TS (I have a Festool TS75 with the MFT), and maybe purchase a portable contractor's saw. I'm contemplating going all hand tools (I have most everything I'd ever need from a hand tools perspective). But I like the convenience of power tools for certain things like my planer, jointer, and bandsaw. So, bottom line is lots of tools that today don't get used that often. One thing about all that though, is even if something isn't used that often, when there's a need for it, you're awfully glad you have it.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have thought about this, but don't usually admit it.  I don't consider it a waste of money though.  Custom woodwork is pretty expensive to hire out, and it there is some mental energy expended as well.  Although I wish I was faster.
The question for me is not about having too many tools, used or not, but about what you're going to do with them when woodworking is no longer something you can do. That day will come sooner or later for all of us.

I know I will sell most of my tools at the end of the day, and one to two years before I start selling my tablesaw is the day I will stop buying tools.

Simon
i probably have 20 percent fewer tools then I did 10 years ago.   I've upgraded the ones I used to be the  "last I'll need in this lifetime" and sold off the redundant tools.   I've also refined my methods so eliminate some options in favor of the simplest and most reliable.    A couple examples are the removal of my disc sander because of the industrial oscillating edge sander i acquired.  or just using splines instead of biscuits = biscuit joiner gone.     One item which really helped me downsize was acquiring a son-in-law how wants to get started in woodworking and handy man stuff.  I have a box of cast off tools every-time he comes to visit.  I'm in my fifties and its time to start thinning out life items so the likely auction my then widow wife will  have to have will be easier.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I had to put a 1000ft addition on my shop so I could move stuff out, to hold more tools in the main shop.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-21-2019, 10:32 AM)Splinter Puller Wrote: i probably have 20 percent fewer tools then I did 10 years ago.   I've upgraded the ones I used to be the  "last I'll need in this lifetime" and sold off the redundant tools.   I've also refined my methods so eliminate some options in favor of the simplest and most reliable.    A couple examples are the removal of my disc sander because of the industrial oscillating edge sander i acquired.  or just using splines instead of biscuits = biscuit joiner gone.     One item which really helped me downsize was acquiring a son-in-law how wants to get started in woodworking and handy man stuff.  I have a box of cast off tools every-time he comes to visit.  I'm in my fifties and its time to start thinning out life items so the likely auction my then widow wife will  have to have will be easier.

Gasp!
Eek

You used the words; "Redundant" and "Tools" in the same sentence! Then you mentioned; "Cast Off" tools- oh my eyes! 
Eek
Eek

At 65, I wish I were only 50. I was getting my second wind- could still jog a mile and eat what I wanted. Only now have I considered slowing down the purchase of tools other than the old worthy ones I get for cheap, restore them and sell them to a worthy user.

Only death or serious ailment can take me away from the shop, and at 65, I'm told by young folks like you, that's any day now.
Laugh

Just got back from North Carolina and scored good on some old USA made hardened punches (11), a compass, and a hand held knurling tool, all for 10 bucks at a flea market.
It really takes a strong will to resist the urge to buy more than we need in this consumerism world. In the last 8 to 10 years, I succeeded in buying new tools and getting rid of old tools (craiglist etc) at the same time, partially avoiding the need for more storage space. Recently, I sold two machines and recovered space for more lumber. It is true that if you do more stuff with hand tools, you need fewer machines. Slower? Yes, but if you're a hobbyist and speed is the most critical thing, go all in with CNC.

Simon
My tools have paid for themselves many times over. Between the custom furniture I’ve built for the house (beds, tables, lots of bookshelves, etc.) and the spoons and spatulas I regularly make to sell at markets, this “hobby” has not only saved me a bundle of money, but there have been months that it’s kept the household afloat financially.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I have a small confession. I actually have two sets of tools. Well, three, if you count mechanics tools.

I have wood shop tools----TS, BS, planer, jointer, routers/table, OSS, DC, small compressor, work benches, dovetail jig(half blind), small DP, 23 gauge pinner, two biscuit joiners(regular and mini), strap clamps, picture frame clamps, and the usual clamps/cordless drill/bits/etc. These tools I bought from the family budget.

Then I have the business tools. TS, Power miter saw, recip saw, hand planer, hand grinders, circ saws, floor stapler, Framing nailer, 16 and 18 gauge nailers, dry wall tools, plumbing tools/box, electrical tools/box, a larger roll around compressor, and buckets of hand/special tools. I used to carry those in a 5' by 10' covered trailer(sold). These tools were bought by the business.

And yes, I have used or still am using all of those in both groups at one point or another.
Every tool (that *I* purchased) in my shop has been for a specific use. I have never bought a tool *just* to have it. Yes, a tool may only get one use, like the hammer drill I bought for cheap from HF to secure my lathe to the concrete floor, but in cases like that, I buy the cheapest I can. Some of the tools that family have bought for me sit unused, as they weren't something I need. My wife has learned to *never* buy a tool for me unless I give her a specific model number and supplier.

I only semi-regret one purchase--my Leigh jig. Paid about $300 for it some 16 years ago. I've used it twice, three times? I won't sell it, though, as I *might* eventually find a use for it when I can dedicate more time to wood working.

I keep hoping (lying to myself?) that when I retire, all these tools will finally come into their own when I have time to do nothing but ww'ing and use it to support my retirement. A man can dream, right?
Semper fi,
Brad