Shooter Conundrums
And can't saw a straight & square line.......
Confused

For the thin stuff...I rely on one of my mitre boxes,  to give a square cut....and, any angle of miter cut I need...

Of course..I am dealing with wood....
Uhoh

Of course, this could be a shooting jig...for my circular saw....
Winkgrin

Cuts with a mitre box...the hand power variety
Winkgrin

Then again....if one can't saw to a line......YMMV
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Steven, don't take it so literally - I was just yanking your chain.
Smile

The thread is about shooting boards.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
hmmm..

Shooting a pair of boards...at once...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(11-22-2019, 10:51 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I am considering looking for a plane for shooting and need some help choosing. The Veritas BU jack has a reputation for shooting ... and it fits my price. But....

I think I got one of the early Veritas bevel up planes, the LA Smoother.  And, a handful of blades ... at 2-inch width. The LAS is too light for any shooting task. I don't use it much because it is an odd fit in my hand--maybe a traditional style handle can help. I had originally hoped the blades were the same, but the jack's is 2-1/4 wide. LV got standard blades right, after the LAS one-off blades. I have Stanley's that will cover for coarse stock prep, even smoothing, but they are no fun for shooting. For me! So the Veritas Jack is really only going to the shooting board. However, it may collect dust like its predecessor, the LAS. 

I am concerned. Options?

I took a few photos a while back of my favourite shooting board/bench hook. I have expensive shooting boards and expensive shooting planes, but ...

This must have taken me all of 30 minutes to build for a hand tool workshop I gave. Since then it has been used frequently. It has developed scars and I don't care. It is made of a piece of scrap pine and scrap maple. When it is dinged enough, I'll make another.

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

Cross cut saw a drawer side ...

[Image: 3.jpg]

[Image: 4.jpg]

[Image: 5.jpg]

Then shoot the end ...

[Image: 6.jpg]

[Image: 7.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I made my first shooting board this year, when I got my first actual bench plane. I am running a 5 1/2 jack plane, and am generally pleased with the results. It works quite well, and I am getting good enough with it in practice to where I can see how a dedicated shooter like the 51 would have it's advantages. At some point when I have the disposable income not dedicated to other things on the priorities list, I plan to purchase the Veritas 51. But in the more immediate term, I plan to make an inclined shooting board such as what Derek pictured above.

[Image: vindesk60.JPG]
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!