Deciding on Griz 8" jointer
Griz has a BF special going at right now (just got the email) with free shipping on a couple of 8" jointers, if that would make your decision any easier.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-24-2019, 06:44 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Griz has a BF special going at right now (just got the email) with free shipping on a couple of 8" jointers, if that would make your decision any easier.

I got the same email. Thanks

PM's are now turned on. 

How is the Byrd cutter better than the Griz?

chinese vs Taiwan built?
I have no idea if the Byrd head is better than the Griz, but it is American made. The cutters are set at a slight angle to the CL of the head, giving it a skew cut. The older ones had a reputation for leaving small ridges down the length of the board. I have them in both in my jointer and planer, and had the ridges from both. I cleaned the seats of both cutterheads and re-torqued the inserts...it fixed the planer but not the jointer. It's my understanding the newer Byrd heads had some improvements made that eliminate this problem. The Byrd head also (I think) has more cutters than the Griz cutterhead.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Buy Taiwanese. You won't be funding an enemy of the US that way.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I have a Byrd spiral cutterhead on my Shopfox 8" jointer and a Griz spiral carbide cutterhead on my 15" Shopfox planer (ordered it with the spiral head option). I bought the Byrd from Brian at Holbren after using the joiner a couple years with straight knives. I cannot tell any difference in the operation or finished cut between the two.

I would order the jointer with the carbide cutterhead already installed; no sense in spending time to do the changeout IMO.

Doug
I have straight knives on my jointer. I did get the carbide inserts on my planer.
My logic is that all the boards face joined would get planed on both sides anyhow.
I do agree with Tapper, if you are going to do the spiral head, it makes the most sense to do it now.
It does not seem like a fun project (IMO) and I doubt you will save any money doing it yourself.

If you have the cash to get the inserts on the jointer, by all means, do it.. I just don't think it's critical to have.
Jet is having a Black Friday 15% off sale so I ordered the Jet. I have Jet tools in the shop now and fit and finish are good. Also a 5 year warranty and as I understand it they will come to your home and service the machine.

Jet 8" with standard knives $1359 no tax and free shipping with free lift gate service  then a Jet mobile base from ebay for $138 and free shipping.  $1498 total.

The Griz G0855 would have cost me $1150 + 169 shipping plus sales tax of $108 = $1427

I decided against a helical head for now as I run my jointed faces through the planer anyway. I will probably get a Byrd head for my planer at some point.
good choice Troubleshooter
Smile
(11-23-2019, 10:36 AM)Troubleshooter Wrote: I want to upgrade to a 8" jointer. I have used a Jet 6" for the last 10 years with no issues other than the bed is a little short and it's hard to set the knives.

So on the 8" I want a 72" bed. Also not sure about the Helix cutter head? It appears to be about 500 extra for that. Is it worth it? I only woodwork for a hobby and don't even change knives once a year unless I knick them

Also thoughts on the China made 8" vs the Taiwan? Worth the extra money?

Thanks

I have the GO656 with the spiral cutter.  After 12 years Im still torn on whether or not I like it.  For me its been a challenge to set up properly.  Finding that TDC point of one of those blades can be difficult for a guy with one eye.  I've tried to fine tune it by feel over the years and as of yesterday I think I finally am getting results I am satisfied with.  It's very quiet and a good machine all around. I wouldn't think you could go wrong with any of your choices.  They are all names that are synonymous with higher end tools.
(11-25-2019, 03:44 PM)paul2004 Wrote: I have straight knives on my jointer. I did get the carbide inserts on my planer.
My logic is that all the boards face joined would get planed on both sides anyhow.

This is a valid point, but it has its limitations. The helical cutters are after all most useful for wood with crazy figure. Which tends to mean our precious, limited boards. Maybe we resawed to get the most out of them, and there isn't enough thickness for that last pass through the planer. Happen a lot? For me, yes. So I personally consider the Byrd head on my jointer a great investment.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site