Hardwood floor on a stair landing
Thanks Snipe Hunter. And yes, it does make sense.

On the actual second floor flooring I did pull the baseboards and reinstalled after laying the flooring. Expansion gap is under the baseboard.

The other posters comment about 10” shorts was about installing stair treads (not the landing) and debating the value of the landing flooring being 90 degrees to the nosing while the stair treads are parallel to the nosing.

The stair baseboards are actually too complicated to remove and reinstall. The original builder did a nice job and it’s more than just colonial baseboard hence I think at this point I’ll undercut the one back baseboard trim and then work my way out to the nosing like you suggested. I’ll orient the flooring parallel to the nosing. That first piece, which goes under the baseboard, I’ll rip to width first so the rest of the boards can be regular width.

I think this will work and look ok.

I’m doubtful I’ll get to this before mid December as still working through parents medical stuff.

Happy thanksgiving!

Mike