How to cut dados for a bookcase?
I'm making a bookcase. What's a good way to cut dados for the shelves in the side pieces?
(11-27-2019, 01:51 PM)overland Wrote: I'm making a bookcase. What's a good way to cut dados for the shelves in the side pieces?

Router.  Make a jig that the router can follow. Do a google search and you should find one that the router will ride in and be clamped on.  There all sorts of ways to use the router but I have found the ones where the router has to follow a jig is the best.  he jig can be simple 1/4" plywood with sides that the router has to follow - on both sides - the router can't wander then.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(11-27-2019, 01:59 PM)John Mihich Wrote: on both sides - the router can't wander then.

yup.  found out the hard way the router will wander if not contained on both sides.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

When you do this, temporarily tack the sides together so you can cut counterpart dadoes in both pieces at the same time so you know they align correctly.
A router is how I'd do it.  Presuming this is a standard bookcase with sides that mirror each other lay them next to each other, back edges matched up, and cut both sides in the same pass with the same jig/straightedge/cut guide device.
(11-27-2019, 01:51 PM)overland Wrote: I'm making a bookcase. What's a good way to cut dados for the shelves in the side pieces?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycp9fDPO4SU
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
Thanks, everyone, for all the good advice.
Router is fine, though I always use a dado head in a table saw with a sled.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I prefer to make the jig work with a dado cleanout router bit....something like this: https://www.woodline.com/products/dado-cleaners

you set the jig for the exact width of the shelf, clamp it where you want the dado, run the router through the jig and done.

by using a dado cleanout router bit, there's no offset, no measuring.  you set the jig for the exact thickness of the shelf....which means any sanding of the shelf should be done first....and it just fits.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Tongue 
If you do not like the idea of a router an all the fussing with jig making, use a dado plane. Clamp a fence, align the cutter, and a few strokes later, voila, a dado.
Big Grin
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard