How to remove file from handle
I have a worn out file that’s probably ready for the metal recycling life, but I’d like to keep the handle to use on another file if it will fit.
How does one safely remove the file from the handle without damaging the handle?
Ray
I close my vice enough to catch the handle but allow the file to pass through then pull down on the file. Handle pops off after a few tries usually. Obviously that will only work for a standard sized file.
-Marc

Since the file is no longer useful, you might try clamping it into a metal vise horizontally with the handle sticking out of one end. Then take a piece of hardwood and tap the end-grain against the front of the handle until it loosens, then slide it off. Might have to tap in a couple places and/or rotate the file 180 degrees but it should come out eventually.

Good luck and "good on ya" for reusing the handle!

Doug
Another approach is to put the file with handle into a freezer for a day or so. The metal will contract much more than the handle. It the handle doesn't come off, try tapping as described above while the file is still cold.

Good luck.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
All good advice above. However, are you sure the file is worn out? Have you ever tried to sharpen one? I was very skeptical until I did it. Find a small container that the file will fit into and submerge it in white vinegar. Clean all grease and oil from it first. Let it soak anywhere from 24 hours to several days. Then take it out, wash it off and tell me if it is sharp again or not.

The vinegar, an acid, will eat away metal on each side of each tooth and leave a sharp edge. It works.
Willy it’s worth a try. This is a file that belonged to my dad. It looks pretty worn, but maybe it can be resurrected.
Ray
(11-30-2019, 10:23 AM)Willyou Wrote: All good advice above. However, are you sure the file is worn out? Have you ever tried to sharpen one? I was very skeptical until I did it. Find a small container that the file will fit into and submerge it in white vinegar. Clean all grease and oil from it first. Let it soak anywhere from 24 hours to several days. Then take it out, wash it off and tell me if it is sharp again or not.

The vinegar, an acid, will eat away metal on each side of each tooth and leave a sharp edge. It works.

I have not heard of soaking longer than 24 hours.  Several days will likely round over the ridges on the file and defeat the purpose.  Here's a good article on restoring old files and rasps using the acid etching method.

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/sharpening-files/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-30-2019, 11:37 AM)AHill Wrote: I have not heard of soaking longer than 24 hours.  Several days will likely round over the ridges on the file and defeat the purpose.  Here's a good article on restoring old files and rasps using the acid etching method.

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/sharpening-files/

Thanks. I bookmarked the article. I didn't read it completely but, noted that he said the vinegar, even the 6% solution, takes longer than 24 hours. I don't think you can do too much harm with vinegar. The acid he recommends is another matter and requires some care. Using the vinegar, I just dunkum and check from time to time until I think they are done.
Sometimes, file handles with metal inserts are screwed onto the file tang. That means needing to actually unscrew the handle.
Didn’t think of threads. Problem is I don’t know and can’t see if it’s threaded or not, so removing one way or the other risks damage to the handle if it’s installed using the other method.
I guess that’s one more reason to try the acid sharpening first.
Ray