How to remove file from handle
(11-30-2019, 02:21 PM)Willyou Wrote: Thanks. I bookmarked the article. I didn't read it completely but, noted that he said the vinegar, even the 6% solution, takes longer than 24 hours. I don't think you can do too much harm with vinegar. The acid he recommends is another matter and requires some care. Using the vinegar, I just dunkum and check from time to time until I think they are done.

If it's not sharp after 2 days of soaking in vinegar, it won't get sharp at all.  Even though vinegar might be 6%, it will still continue to eat the metal.  Acid soaking / derusting eats the base metal, so there's a point of no return where after a certain amount of time, you're etching away the peaks of the file ridges.  Best advice I can tell you is soak for 4 hours, then check sharpness.  Then another 4, and check again, etc.  Work up to 12 hours.  Check again.  Then work in 12 hour increments.  If not sharp after 2 days, it's a lost cause from an acid sharpening perspective.

BTW, I'm a metallurgical engineer by education and was at one time an expert in corrosion prevention and control.  I have some expertise in this area.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Mmmm. Put that file in a wood faced vise, and use the appropriately sized BFH and tap the handle off.

Most handles that *do* have threads, you can see the insert thats in it, even with the file in it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-02-2019, 11:03 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Mmmm. Put that file in a wood faced vise, and use the appropriately sized BFH and tap the handle off.

Most handles that *do* have threads, you can see the insert thats in it, even with the file in it.

That's what I figured. Didn't see any. Was able to just pop off the handle with ease and no damage to the handle. I just wasn't sure about doing that without damage to the handle (feel like I was silly to ask in the first place
Rolleyes ).

I was able to re-use the handle on another file I have.
A little wire brushing and a close look at the old file removed and I decided to just put it in the metal recycling bin.
I'd like to keep it, but have enough stuff and don't need it.
thanks all!
Ray
(12-03-2019, 01:07 PM)DogwoodTal Wrote: I was able to re-use the handle on another file I have.

The reuse part reminds me of several handles I have, these are nice, I have a few and they are pretty good:  https://www.hardwareandtools.com/general...-4665.html

But for my saw files, I really like (love) the cast iron ones, the holes give you a place to register your hands to maintain the angles.  Here's a pic from the web:  

[Image: file_handle.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-30-2019, 10:23 AM)Willyou Wrote: All good advice above. However, are you sure the file is worn out? Have you ever tried to sharpen one? I was very skeptical until I did it. Find a small container that the file will fit into and submerge it in white vinegar. Clean all grease and oil from it first. Let it soak anywhere from 24 hours to several days. Then take it out, wash it off and tell me if it is sharp again or not.

The vinegar, an acid, will eat away metal on each side of each tooth and leave a sharp edge. It works.

I have reconditioned files for over 60 years. Grandpop showed me how. He was a blacksmith and farrier. files were placed in a bucket of horse urine for a half day. After a thorough washing the files were much sharper.  I use vinegar myself, dipped in vinegar for at least one day, sometimes longer. Still wash it off. Any acid will work. Muriatic acid works in less than 30 minutes but will continue to rust if not washed several times.
I do not recommend any acid but vinegar, slower but safer.
mike