Small workbench top attachment?
I’m building a small mobile workbench thats top is two sheets of 3/4” plywood. I would like the top sheet to have no screws showing. I’m thinking screwing the bottom sheet into the frame and gluing the top sheet to it. Then screwing through the bottom sheet into the top sheet for reinforcement. Does this make sense or is there a better way?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
There is no one single right method.

If they’re both flat, I’d glue before attaching and put some weights on it while they dry.
If not flat, I’d glue with screws through the field and remove them when the glue dries. Then, I’d make plugs and plug the screw holes.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Stoppy, for what it's worth, the top of my radial arm saw bench is one sheet of 3/4" plywood, one sheet of 3/4" MDF and a sheet of tempered hardboard (Masonite). The whole thing is edged banded with 1/2" oak. It is screwed to the base from, the top, through the MDF and the plywood. The screws are countersunk, so the surface is smooth. The hardboard just lays on top. It is not attached to the MDF/plywood; it's held in place by the oak edge banding. When it gets ratty looking, I just lift it out and replace it with new Masonite. I don't have a photo of the sandwich, but here's the end result:
[Image: 48908070518_0b12529644_c.jpg]Version 2 by Hank Knight, on Flickr
I just finished making a small portable work table using 2 pieces of 3/4" ply (32" x 52").  I didn't use glue.  I screwed thru the bottom sheet into the top.  I used 15 screws placed on 3 long rows.  I used a Kreg base and screwed thru the pre-cut holes to secure the top to the base.  I've used this method before and it has worked well.

Lonnie
(12-01-2019, 09:20 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Stoppy, for what it's worth, the top of my redial arm saw bench is one sheet of 3/4" plywood, one sheet of 3/4" MDF and a sheet of tempered hardboard (Masonite). The whole thing is edged banded with 1/2" oak. It is screwed to the base from, the top, through the MDF and the plywood. The screws are countersunk, so the surface is smooth. The hardboard just lays on top. It is not attached to the MDF/plywood; it's held in place by the oak edge banding. When it gets ratty looking, I just lift it out and replace it with new Masonite. I don't have a photo of the sandwich, but here's the end result:
[Image: 48908070518_0b12529644_c.jpg]Version 2 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

Always enjoyed that shot of your shop, Hank! Great job on the cabinets (finally getting around to building mine).

I plan to use this same method on my cabinet top (1 1/8" particle board) with the masonite. Thinking about securing it with brass countersunk screws just to keep it in place and in case a sharp edge contacts the fastener. 

Doug
FWIW, I built THIS BENCH (Keep clicking the "right" arrow.) some 5 or 6 years ago.   The top is two full sheets of 3/4 ply glued together, I used Deck screws starting in the center and working toward the edge, to "clamp" it while the glue "set".   It's only supported down the center, and it has seen a lot of hard use but I don't think its sagged at all.

For full text, click the "3 lines" at the left edge.
I did as Hank did, but attached it differently.

A piece of 3/16" tempered hardboard on the surface will protect the surface from damage.  I used carpet tape to hold it in place.  Replacement is simple.  It's a cheap and hard-wearing surface.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-01-2019, 09:20 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Stoppy, for what it's worth, the top of my radial arm saw bench is one sheet of 3/4" plywood, one sheet of 3/4" MDF and a sheet of tempered hardboard (Masonite). The whole thing is edged banded with 1/2" oak. It is screwed to the base from, the top, through the MDF and the plywood. The screws are countersunk, so the surface is smooth. The hardboard just lays on top. It is not attached to the MDF/plywood; it's held in place by the oak edge banding. When it gets ratty looking, I just lift it out and replace it with new Masonite. I don't have a photo of the sandwich, but here's the end result:
[Image: 48908070518_0b12529644_c.jpg]Version 2 by Hank Knight, on Flic
Off topic here, but Hank that workshop is just looks like a comfortable and inviting place to work.
Nice!
Ray
Thanks Ray and Doug for the compliments on my shop. I spend a lot of time there. It is, indeed, a pleasant place to work.
I’d be afraid to touch anything in your shop Hank. Excellent use of slat wall. 

I’ve finished the small mobile workbench to where it is usable. After Christmas gifts are finished I will add a vise and drawers to it.  I attached the top with pocket hole screws so the top has no screws showing.  I like this concept of small mobile workbenches and will certainly build at least one more and use your top idea.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.