Torpedo kerosene space heater fuel cap
Have a Master heater 140,000 btu.  Past spring It was drained for summer time and stored.  This week I brought it out of storage and was nearly unable to remove plastic fuel cap.  When I did get it removed it would not go back.  Called their cust. Svc  and told the Agent I had a problem with the cap, his immediate reply was "is it swollen." They are aware of issue and sending a free cap.  It was almost like trying to replace the  cork on a champagne bottle.  This issue may prevail on other models as well.  Just FYI.

Regards,
Bill
Years ago we had a similar issue with techumseh carbs. The rubber seat would swell up so much that it wouldn't let fuel through. This was with the old MTBE gas and then with the gas with ethanol fortunately Techumseh went under shortly afterwards. I never liked their engines and their horrible points design.  

I have a kerosene heater in my shop that belongs to a friend. He brought it over to have me fix it... Needs a new sprayer since he was running diesel through it. Kerosene is cost prohibitive to use here as it's 7 a gallon at the cheapest. The last place with an above ground tank and a kerosene pump went away 20+ years ago so it's only available by the 1 and 5gal cans. We can get it cheaper by going over to the airport and buying JetA which is much cheaper but it's a pain.
(12-04-2019, 04:10 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Years ago we had a similar issue with techumseh carbs. The rubber seat would swell up so much that it wouldn't let fuel through. This was with the old MTBE gas and then with the gas with ethanol fortunately Techumseh went under shortly afterwards. I never liked their engines and their horrible points design.  

I have a kerosene heater in my shop that belongs to a friend. He brought it over to have me fix it... Needs a new sprayer since he was running diesel through it. Kerosene is cost prohibitive to use here as it's 7 a gallon at the cheapest. The last place with an above ground tank and a kerosene pump went away 20+ years ago so it's only available by the 1 and 5gal cans. We can get it cheaper by going over to the airport and buying JetA which is much cheaper but it's a pain.
Yes, jet A is good also.  I have never used kerosene for the same reason you mention.  Here on the farm we always use "off road died diesel" which is available at many places.  Even on road auto diesel is far less than Kerosene.  Never had a issue with jelling.  When the temps get below  15' F I add a little anti jell.  No smoke or odor.  Quick ignition and toasty warm.  This heater says multi fuel, Kerosene, jet a, #1 heating fuel or # 2 heating fuel.  I doubt that using diesel would be the issue with the nozzle.  Have several other brand heaters that are not listed as multi fuel but they work just fine.  Check fuel filters, air filters and other places like carbon vanes  on the air pump.
Bill
(12-04-2019, 05:52 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: Yes, jet A is good also.  I have never used kerosene for the same reason you mention.  Here on the farm we always use "off road died diesel" which is available at many places.  Even on road auto diesel is far less than Kerosene.  Never had a issue with jelling.  When the temps get below  15' F I add a little anti jell.  No smoke or odor.  Quick ignition and toasty warm.  This heater says multi fuel, Kerosene, jet a, #1 heating fuel or # 2 heating fuel.  I doubt that using diesel would be the issue with the nozzle.  Have several other brand heaters that are not listed as multi fuel but they work just fine.  Check fuel filters, air filters and other places like carbon vanes  on the air pump.
Bill

I went through the air pump starting with the foam filters that decintegrated when touched... Cleaned up the pump vanes which were in very good shape and set the pressure. The nozzle was spraying with an awful pattern. It had deposits that I could partially clean out and get it working better but just not well enough. It's a small 40K unit and has the newer TFI ignition module and the optical flame sensor which is allot more picky than the old systems when running diesel in them and this one is not rated for diesel.

Doesn't get cold here anymore so not much need for lots of heat and if fuel jells here we have much bigger problems... I used to have a big torpedo heater that was about 6' long and about 4' tall. It was a large building/jobsite heater. Was diesel powered and burned fuel like a cruise ship.. 
       In my shop I just use a small 20-50K propane torpedo heater. Let run a bit and get it warmed up and then fire it up every so often when it cools off. Got enough insulation that heating is not a problem but cooling is allot harder to do. LOML wanted to buy me a ceiling mount heater but I said nahh as it just isn't worth the cost. Mine isn't convenient but it does what I need.