backsaw with hybrid filing
So, I'm looking for a carcass-sized backsaw with hybrid filing. Which manufacturers offer this filing option? Lie Nielsen used to but no longer offers it.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin
Bad axe -

http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/12-inch-h...ck-saw.php
Bad axe makes a great one. what size are you thinking 12" 14"? Bad axe can make most of their saws in a hybrid filling.
12" or 14", I'm vacillating a little but I'll probably end up going with 14". I like the BadAxe saws but gosh they're expensive.
perhaps you could buy a ln or lv back saw and have someone refile it?

have you contacted LN to see if they can still make one for you? I know they custom make saws for miter boxes.

also what ppi are you thinking. and what width are you thinking for crosscusts. i do a lot of cross cutting with finer ppi rip saws.
(12-04-2019, 12:45 PM)dave brown Wrote: So, I'm looking for a carcass-sized backsaw with hybrid filing. Which manufacturers offer this filing option? Lie Nielsen used to but no longer offers it.

Dave,

I have several vintage backsaws in that size. I can file the teeth to any profile you like. PM me if interested.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(12-04-2019, 01:28 PM)mongo Wrote: Bad axe makes a great one.  what size are you thinking 12" 14"?  Bad axe can make most of their saws in a hybrid filling.

Thanks guys. Bob, I'll PM you. Something in the 12" to 14" size. PPI I'm flexible -- I'll ask you and trust your judgement. It's been so long since I've ordered a saw -- back when Mike Wenzloff was still on the scene. I was making a table for Thanksgiving using 4x4 timbers and to cut the half-laps, I was using my Wenzloff tenon saws. Not the best tool for the job but they got it done.

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-04-2019, 03:28 PM)dave brown Wrote: Thanks guys. Bob, I'll PM you. Something in the 12" to 14" size. PPI I'm flexible -- I'll ask you and trust your judgement. It's been so long since I've ordered a saw -- back when Mike Wenzloff was still on the scene. I was making a table for Thanksgiving using 4x4 timbers and to cut the half-laps, I was using my Wenzloff tenon saws. Not the best tool for the job but they got it done.

Dave,

Here is a beautiful Disston with a 1878-1888 medallion. I bought this saw since the handle is nearly perfect. With some light cleaning, it would be spectacular. The toothline is messed up from improper sharpening, so it would be no problem to rework the profile as you desire.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Any chance I can talk you out of hybrid filing? A 14” sash saw filed cross cut is immensely useful. Less fleam and higher rake will just make that saw rip and cross cut less efficiently. It will cross cut less smoothly, less easily.

Saw makers do this for customers too cheap to buy 2 saws. I get it. This is not the saw to cheap out on.

My cabinet shop, i.e. all my old tools are stored away in my toolbox in my garage while I’m converting a barn into a house. Guess what tools didn’t get stored away:

The back saw shown above filed cross cut, a 20” Atkins panel saw filed cross cut. My son’s box has an old 26” disston filed cross cut. We use these almost constantly. And we have a sliding chop saw on site.

Here are a few more that I use all the time:
Double arm marking gauge
Big thin socket chisels 1” and 2”
S #60-1/2, #4, #5
A couple (Gransfors) hatchets

I’m not a great carpenter. But I have been able to leverage my hand tool skills. A good cross cut backsaw is super helpful for a wide range of workshop and household tasks.
(12-05-2019, 09:51 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: Any chance I can talk you out of hybrid filing? A 14” sash saw filed cross cut is immensely useful. Less fleam and higher rake will just make that saw rip and cross cut less efficiently. It will cross cut less smoothly, less easily.

Saw makers do this for customers too cheap to buy 2 saws. I get it. This is not the saw to cheap out on.

I'm sort of with Adam on this.  Any "hybrid" is by definition, a compromise in utility; and I also 'get it.'  However, for the price of one new "retail" 14" sash saw filed hybrid, you can get two vintage backsaws, one cc, one tenon rip, and perhaps a decent 26" cc or rip handsaw.  With those saws, you are pretty much set.

That being said, I've filed saws for folks in the hybrid manner, as Bob (who does great work BTW) has offered to do for the OP.  And you lose nothing, as a saw can be refiled easily enough if you don't like it.  I've played around with hybrid filing on my own user saws, and without exception refiled the saws back to a dedicated rip/cc configuration.  But I have a till full of them, after 10 years of rust hunting.....

One can file saws all sorts of ways, but there are always compromises.  Then there is Tage Frid's semi-famous theory of filing everything rip...... which is an interesting point of view.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis