Considering xacta fence to Inra, thoughts please
I've recently caught an itch to want the Incra TS fence.  The xacta has worked for me over the last 18 years but I like upgrades.  Upgrades seem to inspire me to do more for some reason.  At any rate I have two questions.  For those that have the Incra fence, whats your thoughts and what did you upgrade from and 2, I will likely sell my 54" inch Xacta fence system.  Whats a fair price for this used?

Thank you for the responses,

Wayne
I have a 32" Jet Contractors saw with an Xacta fence system. I also have an 24" Incra Ultra Router table fence.
I've had both for 15+ years.

The TS fence has been quite serviceable ... easy to move/adjust, locks down tight every time (if I haven't bumped the silicon pad off the cam lever). Easy to adjust if knocked out of alignment. It does lack T-track slots, but I've made all manner of jigs/fixtures to slide/clamp along the top.

The Incra RT fence is everything you've read about Incra ... accurate, precise affording absolute repeat-ability every. single. time.
Over the years I managed to mung up one of the indexing brackets ... a call to Incra and a new set was on it's way gratis... apparently there is a lifetime warranty on them.

My quick impressions of an Incra TS fence are as follows :
- You will need plenty of space for the T shaped fence to extend beyond the right of your TS. Think closely about this.
- After making a wide cut the TS fence will be left sticking out into that space unless you slide the fence back closer to the blade.
- Due to the clamping mechanism placement, when making narrow cuts the mechanism will be a couple of feet away; perhaps not in arms reach.
   With the Xacta fence, the clamping mechanism is directly at the front of the fence within reach.
- IIRC the Incra TS fence rides in slots in rails at the front and back of the TS. Is sawdust build-up here an issue?
- How difficult is it to align if it should every be knocked out of alignment?

Is there a market for a used Xacta fence? I dunno.
~Dan.
I switched to Incra from a Uni/jet lock years ago. Let me say that the Incra isn't for everyone, my background included some years in a machine shop environment so an Incra makes perfect sense to me. The repeatability and ease of dialing in a specific dimension is a snap with the Incra. The fence itself has hold down clamps on both ends that you can use to lock the fence completely in position if needed. In normal use I will lock the carriage and the front fence clamp. The fence is extruded aluminum thar has slots for 1/4" bolts on top and on the front making add on jigs a snap to install. Using something like board buddies is easy with the slots to mount them plus the front and rear fence hold down clamps the fence in place horizontally and vertically.

The biggest negatives,IMHO are:

*Not intuitive to use. If you're not tuned in to thinking in thousandths of an inch (think machine shop) it may not be for you.

*Big user of real estate. The rails extend well past the right end of the saw and the carriage goes even farther, about 54" on my saw to rip 32" wide. My saw is limited to 32" due to it being positioned near a wall. In a pinch I have removed the entire carriage and clamped a temporary fence to the rails which allows almost a 48" rip.

So, not the fence for everyone, but if you're in the Incra camp you won't leave. I have no clue what your exacta fence is worth but I'd say to hang on to it until you're sure you've drank the Gold Kool Ade.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
My experience is as above. I've had mine for coming on three years. I have my router table hanging off the right side of the saw, supported by the long rails, so the real estate taken up by the fence when all the way to the right isn't a concern. I purchased it as the TS-LS set up, so I can, in about five minutes, switch the fence around and use it as a *very* capable and enjoyable router table fence. I intentionally bought the 52" set up so that it can support the Incra router table I already had on hand.

I love the repeatability and precision it gives me. Mine has T-slots on all three faces, and while I have yet to use any of them, I can see instances where I will in the future.

As said, it is *not* intuitive, but with some practice, becomes second nature. Zero-ing out the fence on the blade is stupid easy. Aligning the fence to the miter slot is, again, stupid easy.

It's the most expensive thing in my shop; I bought all my stationary equipment used. I don't mind that it's so expensive. It'll serve me well for many, many years.
Semper fi,
Brad

Shoottmx: agree with your comments, especially about the room needed and that is what keeps me from purchasing an INCRA.

Now if there was an after-market clone of the old Delta Uni-fence, I would purchase one in a heart beat.
I replaced my Unifence with the Incra. I don't regret it.
Semper fi,
Brad

i Don't currently have the real estate for one in my basement shop.  I am going to try using the Original INCRA jig as a supplement to my Sawstop T-Square fence. There are a few YouTube video's about doing this.  Stumpy Nubs has one using one of the smaller new style Incra Jig's this way too. Your Fence around the twin-cities MN, goes for about $150-$200 on Craig's List. Dan
I have the Incra LS version and love it. Upgraded from the Incra TSIII Sawtooth version and prior to that I had a Biesemeyer. Like everyone else I also went through the upgrade of OEM fences to the Delta T2 etc.

I stick with the Incra because of its repeatability. It is really that simple you can jump around and come back to complete the exact same cut at a later time with no fuss. I hate the footprint it takes up in my shop but that would be the only reason I would ever ditch it. After many years of use and various other machine upgrades I always decide to keep the Incra fence because of how large the benefits are. $0.02
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(12-07-2019, 03:12 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I have the Incra LS version and love it. Upgraded from the Incra TSIII Sawtooth version and prior to that I had a Biesemeyer. Like everyone else I also went through the upgrade of OEM fences to the Delta T2 etc.

I stick with the Incra because of its repeatability. It is really that simple you can jump around and come back to complete the exact same cut at a later time with no fuss. I hate the footprint it takes up in my shop but that would be the only reason I would ever ditch it. After many years of use and various other machine upgrades I always decide to keep the Incra fence because of how large the benefits are. $0.02
One more convert - I went to an Incra TS fence years ago - replaced a unifence - no regrets.  I park my jointer next to the TS so the fence, when extended, slides right over the jointer.   Along with the above comments about repeatability and control - there are two things I really like.  The ability to cut identical thin strips on the offcut side of the blade and the ability to move the fence in .001 increments for adjusting dado widths.  I also have an incra fence on my router table.
Rick

I would think there would be a good market for the exact fence.
IMHO, as good or better than a Biesemeyer.
Have used one on my Unisaur for 10+ years.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer