Getting Ready to Install Mortising Chuck In Minimax Jointer/Planer
Trying to figure out how I am going to mount a new Westcott mortising chuck on the end of the cutter spindle on a Minimax FS41E jointer/planer. Here is picture of what am dealing with. I am told that the inner disc/bolt with the hex recess is supposed to screw out of the spindle, but it does not seem to want to (I have loosened the set screws).  If you look toward the back of the hex recess, you will see what looks like something that has been mushroomed over so to speak: any idea what is going on there?

What is the rotation direction of the pulley? The threads might be left handed to offset a natural loosening effect
The mushrooming is just a remnant oh the broaching process to make the hex.
So the pulley rotates counter-clockwise as you look at the picture. I assume this would mean that the plug I am trying to remove would be a counter-clockwise to loosen. Thanks for the info on the mushroom situation: that is scary looking to a non-mechanical type
Smile

(12-08-2019, 02:03 PM)WJB Wrote: What is the rotation direction of the pulley? The threads might be left handed to offset a natural loosening effect
The mushrooming is just a remnant oh the broaching process to make the hex.
Problem resolved: more torque! (or more cow bell for you SNL devotees).