saw springs
The yellow aftermarket spring that everyone seems to think very highly of looks to me like a Danley die spring which anyone should be able to get out of a industrial supply store. An example would be a D-1612-36 The D for Danley the next 2 numbers is diameter in 16ths or 1 inch dia spring and the last 2 is length in 1/4 inches so it would be a 1 inch dia spring 3 inches long and 36 is their high pressure spring.

I do not know what size a spring is used on the 14 inch saws but with the information I have given it shouldn't be hard to figure out. Just for your information the 16 is referred to as hole size which  means drill a hole with a 1 inch drill and that spring will fit in it. the length is given as free length because strippers on dies are usually preloaded 1/8th of an inch

I went to MSC and typed in yellow die spring and they carry a different brand but heavy duty just the same.

Anyway you maybe able to just buy locally for less.

Tom
I tried to delete this and move it to the power section but not having any luck. Sorry about that.

Tom
Thanks, Tom.

Can't speak for others, but I sure appreciate the way you break it down to make it understandable for hobbyists like me.
(12-08-2019, 03:37 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: The yellow aftermarket spring that everyone seems to think very highly of looks to me like a Danley die spring which anyone should be able to get out of a industrial supply store. An example would be a D-1612-36 The D for Danley the next 2 numbers is diameter in 16ths or 1 inch dia spring and the last 2 is length in 1/4 inches so it would be a 1 inch dia spring 3 inches long and 36 is their high pressure spring.

I do not know what size a spring is used on the 14 inch saws but with the information I have given it shouldn't be hard to figure out. Just for your information the 16 is referred to as hole size which  means drill a hole with a 1 inch drill and that spring will fit in it. the length is given as free length because strippers on dies are usually preloaded 1/8th of an inch

I went to MSC and typed in yellow die spring and they carry a different brand but heavy duty just the same.

Anyway you maybe able to just buy locally for less.

Tom

What you are missing is the compressed height. The spring should not go into coil bind during use. Determining the proper pressure rating is another variable.
If you have the "yellow aftermarket spring" you could go to a well equipped die maker and have them give you the specs. Then you could order the correct die spring, maybe, if it IS a die spring. Of course, once you have the yellow spring you might as well use it. It is an interesting idea, but I would not bet MY bandsaw on just using a die spring that fits.
Mike
Semper Audere!