Dust collection layout?
I wouldn't even pipe it. Your just wasting your time and money....what you have there is equivalent to this...

https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-reg-w...or-650-cfm

You would be lucky to get any performance of it with wood dust, let alone chips, especially after the filter starts clogging with fine stuff. 

3/4 hp is way under powered to be piping. A couple hundred CFM isnt gonna do much other than being equivalent to a shopvac.

From my experience with dust collection, any improvement and you will think its awesome, when it really sucks. After years of a shopvac, my first 1-1/2 jet unit was unbelievable (when in retrospect was pretty sad, sure it got the really big stuff, but missed anything that wasn't a shaving basically) then I made a homemade cyclone with a metal cyclone and the motor from the jet. Sure I didnt have to change the bag anymore, but the fine dust didnt get picked up. 

A few years ago I got a onieda mini gorilla (1-1/2 cyclone with HEPA filter) and it was way better than anything before, but with the amount of material I run through it, the filter gets clogged quick, and there is fine dust everywhere. And its not even piped. 

Finally broke down and got a 3hp oneida. Should have just done it years ago, but I figured I could save the money and the cheaper models would do fine. I was wrong. 

Dust collection isnt about the big stuff, its about the tiny stuff....because that is what will hurt you.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(01-09-2020, 01:00 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: I use PVC and I have to stand very close to the outlet pipe from my planer. Every time I took the board coming out of the planer I could feel the hair on my head standing up. It did zap me a couple times. I took some braided copper wire and did a couple wraps around the outside of the pipe and grounded it. No problem since.

Second this.  First time around I put a copper wire inside the PVC and grounded it.  When I moved and took the system apart, I found lumps of dust and blockages.  Outside wrap is sufficient, if needed at all.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Packer and others,

I'm not in front of the motor right now, so I don't know what frame it is, but would performance be improved if I were to replace it with a 2 or 3 horse motor?
Semper fi,
Brad

Brad, not likely. The impeller of your unit spins at the stated motor speed....probably 3600 (or so) RPM. If may not not be able to reach that speed, but should be close....or burn out. If you put a larger motor on it, it will still spin at only 3600 RPM or so. So the air flow changes only an immeasurable amount. For more you need a larger impeller, which also takes a larger motor. Now, if your current motor is rated at 1700 RPM...then putting a larger 3600 RPM motor on it would liekly increase air flow.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
After posting, I was thinking about that. Unless I were to build a larger impeller housing, I didn't think it would move more air.

I'll check out the motor's speed.
Semper fi,
Brad

If at some point, you do set up a piping system, I would use galvanized pipe rather than PVC. It is readily available and less expensive if you use snap lock. Fittings are also less expensive.

As for the floor plan, I would swap locations between the lathe and dust collector. From the bottom right corner of the plan, one branch can run diagonally toward the drill press. The other branch parallel to the right wall.

I found a 2hp bag unit to be a bit lacking. A cyclone designed for wood with a minimum 2hp motor would be my preference.
My .02
Karl

So the motor is a 3400.

For now I'll run it with one main line and a flexible hose that will reach my machines.

In the future, though, I may get a 3hp motor and build a larger impeller housing. This one is just stamped steel. I imagine that with 1/4" ply I can build a larger housing and marry it up to the cyclone I have now. I have several projects ahead of it.

Thoughts?

By the way: Thanks for all the advice. I've learned a lot in this thread.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(01-11-2020, 11:07 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: In the future, though, I may get a 3hp motor and build a larger impeller housing.  This one is just stamped steel.  I imagine that with 1/4" ply I can build a larger housing and marry it up to the cyclone I have now.  

Impeller housings need to be smooth and symmetrical. Otherwise you will get a ton of turbulence in the air, massively lowering performance. Sounds like a real task to make one out of plywood, that would be a positive improvement. 

You would be far ahead finding a old Jet or HF unit on craigslist, and swap the motor and impeller with housing with the motor and impeller on your setup. Easy enough swap.....probably would take 15 minutes.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

This impeller housing is welded to the cyclone.

It'll serve me fine for a good long time, I'm sure. I'll probably just end up selling it in the future and getting a bigger unit if my needs demand it.

Thanks!
Semper fi,
Brad

At this point that's probably the best plan.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.