Drill Press Table
We are talking good old woodworking aren't we?

Laser beams, .0017" runout, precision x,y,z axis travel, precision hold downs, fences and clamps- sounds more like you guys need a milling machine, not a DP.

What are you guys building I'm not privy too? 
Laugh
Hi daddo

It is an interesting comment. It would be my thought as well if there was no context for the tool and the person using it.

I’ve been building with wood for about 4 decades and serious furniture making for at least 25 years ... and most of it with hand tools. I am still pretty much hand tool orientated, but also have a collection of some very fine machinery for the grunt work.

Using hand tools teaches one the need to work carefully and precisely if you value the ability to do high end work. I would like to believe that mine is heading in that direction. The machines I have owned until recent years, when I began to replace them, were very mediocre. I learned to made do. Skill in using them and making do is a reflection of craftsmanship. Still, good machines do aid in taking it up a notch - not as a replacement of skills, but as an adjunct to skills. My old drill press was pretty crappy and it was well past its due date.

The Voyager promises to be a spectacular tool. A lesser drill press still drills holes, but the Voyager does it better and makes for.more efficiency and a wider range of applications. Looks to be fun
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(12-19-2019, 02:21 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hi daddo

It is an interesting comment. It would be my thought as well if there was no context for the tool and the person using it.

I’ve been building with wood for about 4 decades and serious furniture making for at least 25 years ... and most of it with hand tools. I am still pretty much hand tool orientated, but also have a collection of some very fine machinery for the grunt work.

Using hand tools teaches one the need to work carefully and precisely if you value the ability to do high end work. I would like to believe that mine is heading in that direction. The machines I have owned until recent years, when I began to replace them, were very mediocre. I learned to made do. Skill in using them and making do is a reflection of craftsmanship. Still, good machines do aid in taking it up a notch - not as a replacement of skills, but as an adjunct to skills. My old drill press was pretty crappy and it was well past its due date.

The Voyager promises to be a spectacular tool. A lesser drill press still drills holes, but the Voyager does it better and makes for.more efficiency and a wider range of applications. Looks to be fun
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well said, Derek! Power tools do the "grunt" work indeed, but there is no substitute for craftsmanship. Your work shows it.

Doug
Thanks Doug.

Regards from Munich .. off to Vienna tomorrow.

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com