Kitchen island question
So I am helping rebuild the kitchen of our friends who flooded back during the last tropical storm. Store bought cabinets from Asia cabinets. Don't have the time to make from scratch

My question however is about the kitchen island. They didn't have an island but I'm putting one in. It's two 18 inch cabinets and a 6 inch spice cabinet. The floor is bare concrete slab

How do I secure the island to the floor? The last time I did this it was a replacement island and there was a piece of 2x4 bolted to the floor. Is that what I need to do? What do I use for bolts and how to do that please

Thanks

And yes I'm double posting this in the off topic section.
(12-10-2019, 08:58 PM)Wipedout Wrote: So I am helping rebuild the kitchen of our friends who flooded back during the last tropical storm. Store bought cabinets from Asia cabinets. Don't have the time to make from scratch

My question however is about the kitchen island.  They didn't have an island but I'm putting one in. It's two 18 inch cabinets and a 6 inch spice cabinet.  The floor is bare concrete slab

How do I secure the island to the floor?  The last time I did this it was a replacement island and there was a piece of 2x4 bolted to the floor. Is that what I need to do?  What do I use for bolts and how to do that please

Thanks

And yes I'm double posting this in the off topic section.

I would screw down a couple pieces of 2x4 blocking.  Use construction adheasive and two concrete screws per piece.  The glue will do the bulk of the holding and the screws just give it time to cure.  Then, attach the base cabinets to the wood blocks.
WoodNET... the new safespace
We use a 2x4 glued and drill a hole through that in into the concrete and use 2 nails as a wedge
Not what you asked about, but just so you know, islands that are 12" x 24" or greater require a receptacle outlet, wired to one of the two (or more) 20A small appliance branch circuits (SABC).  Same for peninsulas, including minimum dimensions.  If it's being inspected, they'll be looking for that.

And I agree with the others - glue and screw/nail a couple of cleats to the floor.  Just hit the concrete with a grinder if you can to get any junk off it so the glue can get a good grip.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(12-11-2019, 07:13 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Not what you asked about, but just so you know, islands that are 12" x 24" or greater require a receptacle outlet, wired to one of the two (or more) 20A small appliance branch circuits (SABC).  Same for peninsulas, including minimum dimensions.  If it's being inspected, they'll be looking for that.

And I agree with the others - glue and screw/nail a couple of cleats to the floor.  Just hit the concrete with a grinder if you can to get any junk off it so the glue can get a good grip.

Thanks. Electrician already ran power to it
(12-11-2019, 07:13 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Not what you asked about, but just so you know, islands that are 12" x 24" or greater require a receptacle outlet, wired to one of the two (or more) 20A small appliance branch circuits (SABC).  Same for peninsulas, including minimum dimensions.  If it's being inspected, they'll be looking for that.

My first reaction was how this could possibly be a code?

Then I remember the instance where the mother had a deep fat fryer sitting on a table or island and since the cord was looped over to a wall plug, the little kid was badly burned from the hot oil after running through the cord and pulling that hot oil all over her.

Good code!
(12-11-2019, 11:49 AM)daddo Wrote:  My first reaction was how this could possibly be a code?

Then I remember the instance where the mother had a deep fat fryer sitting on a table or island and since the cord was looped over to a wall plug, the little kid was badly burned from the hot oil after running through the cord and pulling that hot oil all over her.

Good code!

I was not aware of that and I am building an island for my kitchen. 

Here is the code:  https://www.ecmweb.com/national-electric...hen-island

If the island is mobile (on castors) is this still a requirement?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-11-2019, 12:33 PM)Cooler Wrote: If the island is mobile (on castors) is this still a requirement?

Not that I'm aware of, and I don't know how it could be.  It's furniture at that point.

There's also a code requirement that the receptacle cannot be more than 12 inches below the counter top and the counter top has no more than a 6 inch overhang where the receptacle is located.  Probably due to the short (2 ft) cords on kitchen small appliances.  

That all applies to islands and peninsulas that don't have a backsplash anywhere - if it has one, or some other vertical or horizontal (like overhead) surface within (I think) 18" vertical distance from the surface, then that's where the receptacle has to go.  Most islands are flat, so most get one in the cabinet, but many peninsulas are lower than the adjoining counter space and can get one in the step space where they connect.  And you can always use a curb on the counter to mount a receptacle (kinda ugly, though).

When we redid our kitchen, I put a 3-receptacle Wiremold type power strip almost tight to the bottom of the counter, so you can't see it unless you bend down and look.  Just low enough to plug/unplug comfortably, and the wide spacing of the receptacles makes for a skinny power strip, unlike the clunky surface duplex boxes.  Wired from the back with armored cable, with end caps so it's finished looking and legal.

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
So if you are going to have seating on  one side and cabinets on the other side and no backsplash you will have to put the outlets on the ends, either under the countertop or on the side of the cabinet.

You would not want power cords coming down over your lap so that would exclude putting it on the seating side.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
When I built our island, I altered the bottom of the end cabinets to have toe kick is on three sides so it's easy to stand and work from any of them.  The counter overhangs on the 4th side for seating.