The tip I shared...
(12-12-2019, 07:48 AM)5thumbs Wrote: Congrats on getting your tip published. 

Just so you know, this tip was taught to me by my  Grandfather (a professional carpenter) nearly 50 years ago. I don't think it was original with him, either.

I save my empty prescription bottles and label them for convenience.

+1 but wasn't my Grandfather. A good friend if I remember right.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-13-2019, 11:14 AM)Terry W Wrote: "When I sand project pieces, I always save the fine sawdust by species, in labeled spice jars."

I remember being a guest at a local woodworking club outside of Atlanta; must have been 10 years or more ago.  Someone in the club had the presentation and had just given the same tip. Another member chimed in and said.....

"You know, one day we're going to pass away. When they go through our shop to clean it out and find a collection of little jars of labeled sawdust, they're going to think we were bat-$h@! crazy!
Yes

A co-worker used to joke about the box he had that was labeled: "Pieces of string too short to save."
My wife has a box in the corner of HER sewing shop where she quilts, sews American Girl Doll dresses for the Granddaughters, and does complicated embroidered work.  In that box, she tosses small scraps of material she used to throw away. I asked her the other day why she was saving trash.  She raised a Spock eyebrow in my direction.  "Stuffing."

"Dolls, dog toys, decorative pillows,...". She shook her head. " Or.. I might need a patch, splash of color, or an accent. Why waste it. "

Crazy

I think she was thinking of the small scraps of exotics in my woodshop. 
Rolleyes.  Hey, I will use those... Someday.

Wink
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Jim

I have been saving the turning dust from Maple, Aspen, Paduak, Bloodwood, and Ebony now for 8 years.  All the Nut cans "5 lb" are full.  If I want shavings I just take it out of the can, if I want dust and do not have any in the bottom of the cans I put some chips in a blender my wife no longer uses and make my own dust.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-13-2019, 02:36 PM)SteveS Wrote: I've saved fine dust as well, but for the most part I'll just wet sand using the finish material (e.g. lacquer) to fill those gaps.

The wet sanding part really works...I usually put a dab or two of the thin CA glue inside the crack before sealing it with the sawdust oil mix. I prefer to grind sawdust fresh from the stock (400X) before the wood color should be the same or similar. Sawdust color could change as time goes by. I once saw a social media woodworker suggest on youtube using yellow glue and sawdust as a fix which is pretty amateurish.

Simon
I keep the three thicknesses of CA glue on hand, along with a can of activator.  I will use the sawdust mixed with tightbond if it's only going to be a filler, and not seen, an underlayer, with a plug over it, for example. 
Big Grin. In that case, I would mix the glue and dust on a scrap of wax paper, and fill as needed. Then plug the hole after the paste hardened.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.