My First Hollowing
This is the top half of a baby rattle. I was terrified of a catch. and wrecking something. The walls are 1/4 thick. That’s as thin as I dared.

Attached Files Image(s)

Gotta start somewhere. What hollowing tool did you use?
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I made one and did the whole thing and cut it in half and then hollowed it out and put some small wooden ball I made from Oak in it and glued it back up.  I only hollowed up both ends and got it to about 1/8" or less in some areas.

Yours looks nice and good hollowing.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I used a Sorby. I dont t know the specific tool. It has a replaceable HSS cutter.

Looks good, congrats. I haven't tried a hollow turning yet.
(12-12-2019, 11:34 AM)crokett™ Wrote: This is the top half of a baby rattle.  I was terrified of a catch.  and wrecking something.  The walls are 1/4 thick.  That’s as thin as I dared.

I did my first one about 50yrs ago...Size of a large apple..I made the chisel out of a worn out file, shaped on a grinding wheel...I used worn out files a lot when the budget wouldn't allow "store bought" tools...They work surprisingly well if ground correctly and stay sharp a long time.....And I still have the lathe....It is an Atlas Craftsman combination metal/wood lathe with a 1/3hp motor....
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

II have a larger hollower that I made in my dad’s forge. However either it is too large or the proportions aren’t correct. I can’t really use it. I thought that I had scaled up the Sorby I have, but maybe I got one of the dimensions incorrect. I’ have to do some more measuring and probably reforge it.