Milling Handrail
(12-16-2019, 04:07 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Sure.
Laugh  Where are you?

I am just outside of Portland Oregon.
Well.........we're not neighbors.
Smile

If you make it to Missouri....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Photo 
(12-16-2019, 05:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: George, not looking for an argument either.  This is the part of your design I'm not sure about:  

This required depth shall continue
for at least 3/8 inch (10 mm) to a level that is not less than 1-
3/4 inches (45 mm) below the tallest portion of the profile.

It doesn't look like the recess continues for at least 3/8" once you get to the minimum 5/16" recess.  

John
By my interpretation I am at the 5/16" recess around the red line I have marked on the drawing below. The profile stays narrower than this for the remaining depth, a little more than 3/4", which is 2-1/4" from the top. The way I see it the entire side profile is the recess as the beads toward the bottom are still in far enough to meet the 5/16" recess requirement. If I needed to shave the beads off the profile, I would not have an issue with that. Since the bit is an actual handrail profile I assume it was designed to meet this criteria. I could see where the profile above the bit profile would need to be done to enable the code requirement. You can see in my original drawing that I was playing with the height in attempt to achieve a look that was pleasing and still met my interpretation of the code. I obviously pushed to the max allowable dimensions.
Thanks,
  George

(12-16-2019, 06:31 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Well.........we're not neighbors.
Smile

If you make it to Missouri....

Oh well, thanks for the offer. I used to travel through there when I lived in New Mexico and had family in Indiana. Have not been to Missouri in years. It was pretty country but I seemed to always have problems with vehicles while driving through your state. We do have a friend in Branson who has been begging us to come visit.

George
(12-16-2019, 06:55 PM)gtrgeo Wrote: By my interpretation I am at the 5/16" recess around the red line I have marked on the drawing below. The profile stays narrower than this for the remaining depth, a little more than 3/4", which is 2-1/4" from the top. The way I see it the entire side profile is the recess as the beads toward the bottom are still in far enough to meet the 5/16" recess requirement. If I needed to shave the beads off the profile, I would not have an issue with that. Since the bit is an actual handrail profile I assume it was designed to meet this criteria. I could see where the profile above the bit profile would need to be done to enable the code requirement. You can see in my original drawing that I was playing with the height in attempt to achieve a look that was pleasing and still met my interpretation of the code. I obviously pushed to the max allowable dimensions.
Thanks,
  George

If all of the sketches referenced with that section of the code are in compliance then yours should be, too.  Good luck with the project.  

John
As a Home Inspector, we generally only care that a rail Is there if there are more than 3 risers, that it has returns on the top and the bottom, that it's easy to grasp and that it's secure. I'm not fussy about the returns on older houses. A code inspector would probably never see it or care about the design details unless permitted work was being performed in that part of the home. Even then, if it looks professionally constructed, he/she probably wouldn't think twice about it. Thay aren't paid very well so they're happiest when they don't have to write fix-it tickets.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(12-17-2019, 07:46 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: … They aren't paid very well so they're happiest when they don't have to write fix-it tickets.

… you must not deal with very many petty bureaucrats  … all the ones I meet look for any way cause as much chaos for the public as possible ...
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.