Anybody? Browne handsaw info
All,
I just finished cleaning up a 20" 8pt rip, split nut, hand saw. Etch only has Browne in an arc above warranted cast steel. 6-3/4" at the back and 2-1/4 at the toe, nib is there.

I can't find any information concerning Browne saws and am hoping the vast knowledge of woodnet can help me out.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(12-12-2019, 01:28 PM)jppierson Wrote: All,
I just finished cleaning up a 20" 8pt rip, split nut, hand saw.  Etch only has Browne in an arc above warranted cast steel.  6-3/4" at the back and 2-1/4 at the toe, nib is there.

I can't find any information concerning Browne saws and am hoping the vast knowledge of woodnet can help me out.

If it is spelled "Browne" can't help you.. If it is spelled "Brown's", than that is one of Disston's secondary line saws. (Cheap models)  Doug
Doug,
Thanks for the info. I rechecked the saw it is Browne with an"E" and the saw is a number 3
Train to be miserable...
Disston and Atkins often made saws on a contract basis for hardware stores, etc.  Could be a store named Browne.  I've frankly never heard of a Browne saw, but you mention split nuts, that would be pre-1880s easily, and there could have been a localized maker with that name as opposed to a contract saw.  Really hard to tell.  Could also be an English maker, again, given the split nuts.  Interesting mystery.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral,
I guess it could be English, but the handle is fairly thin, and from what I read English saws were about 1" thick whereas US were 3/4 or 7/8. Doesn't mean it isn't English. I read about a book that is available that lists every US maker of saws, but it is about $30 and I'm too cheap to buy it for a one off find. Thanks all for the assistance so far. Maybe someone will have the info I need.
Train to be miserable...
Disston used the Browne spelling for a while and the model was a No.3.
Take care,
Daryl
Daryl,
Thanks for the information. I assume this was Disston making a contract saw.
Train to be miserable...