Saw Jointer Question
Hi All,

In the monthly digging through the piles in an effort to shed I came across an antique Pikes Perfect Saw Jointer.  The tongue piece that holds the spring clip that keeps the jointer flush with the side of the saw blade has sheared off.  I've never jointed a saw, and I'm not sure I'd start now.  And I do not weld cast iron. What should I do with it?  Is it worth resurrection?  Or should it be given a fitting burial?

It is the long tongue in the middle of the picture below that has broken off.

Thanks,

Greg

(12-12-2019, 07:21 PM)gregbois Wrote: Hi All,

In the monthly digging through the piles in an effort to shed I came across an antique Pikes Perfect Saw Jointer.  The tongue piece that holds the spring clip that keeps the jointer flush with the side of the saw blade has sheared off.  I've never jointed a saw, and I'm not sure I'd start now.  And I do not weld cast iron. What should I do with it?  Is it worth resurrection?  Or should it be given a fitting burial?

It is the long tongue in the middle of the picture below that has broken off.

Thanks,

Greg
Cast iron can be silver-soldered very easily if you can produce enough heat to turn the cast iron red hot [abt 1000*}..A good Mapp torch may be able to achieve that degree of heat, especially if the object to be repaired is placed on a bed of charcoal briquets or any refractory material..even a dry clay pot can work.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

JB Weld?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(12-12-2019, 10:43 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: JB Weld?

I was thinking super glue.
Crazy
Thanks everyone.  I'm going to see if my welding buddy can do this.  Otherwise, it's JB Weld.

Greg