Gel stain how long to wait?
How long do you wait to wipe off the excess gel stain?
The General Finishes web site seems to indicate 12-24 hours before wiping off excess. Is that right?
Ray
(12-12-2019, 08:37 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: How long do you wait to wipe off the excess gel stain?
The General Finishes web site seems to indicate 12-24 hours before wiping off excess. Is that right?

Ummm. No.  You apply then wipe off before it drys. Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMJWz3mnEo

I think you are thinking about the drying time before you can seal the stain with a clear coat.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
Thanks! Idk why I didn’t find that video in my searches.
Ray
I wipe it on and then wipe off as much as I want to immediately.  The amount wiped off is determined by the shade I want to achieve.

It is important to let it fully dry prior to top-coating however.

After seeing the worn areas on the displays at Barnes and Noble, which show up  as nearly white, I now use a penetrating stain then a gel to achieve the right color on pieces that will receive hard wear.

The penetrating stain ensures that the worn areas will remain a brown color rather than showing up as white.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-12-2019, 08:37 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: How long do you wait to wipe off the excess gel stain?
mmm! Over 30 years of ww and I didn't know gel top coat existed. 
Blush Guess I gota get out more. I do prefer gel stain though.
You need to seal the gel stain with a top coat. It doesn't have to be a special gel stain topcoat, although they do market a gel topcoat.
You can also use a good polyurethane. I've had good results with both Minwax poly and General Finishes Arm-R-Seal.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
FYI, GF's Gel Urethane Topcoat is one of their poorest products in terms of chemical durability.  Even water left on it for several hours will leave a white ring that can't easily be removed.  Arm-R-Seal would be a much better choice for a wipe on finish where good durability is needed, like on a table top, etc.  

John