Cool miter fence idea or does it already exist?
So Incra makes those sweet TS and router fences for repeatable cuts.  What if the same concept were applied to a miter sled fence???  I'd buy that in a heart beat.   Does it already exist or can we convince Incra to make it???
(12-14-2019, 11:22 AM)Wayne G. Wrote: So Incra makes those sweet TS and router fences for repeatable cuts.  What if the same concept were applied to a miter sled fence???  I'd buy that in a heart beat.   Does it already exist or can we convince Incra to make it???

Miter Express

Miter 5000 Good video on this one

DT
(12-14-2019, 01:02 PM)Tapper Wrote: Miter Express

Miter 5000 Good video on this one

DT

I have the miter express.  Not a fan of the fence.  In my opinion there isn't much chance of repeating cuts once you leave said set point.  I'd like a calibrated fence
I have an Incra 1000SE and have been using it quite a bit lately on a shop project. Been making repetitive cuts with no problems. The stop block on this model has a micro adjust feature that allows you to sneak up on a measurement, albeit a manual one.

Like you, my guess is that it will be a while before they incorporate the lead screw technology to the miter fence.

Doug
You can find a used radial arm saw for less than $180.00.   I have one and  would have no need for that sled.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-18-2019, 08:22 AM)Cooler Wrote: You can find a used radial arm saw for less than $180.00.   I have one and  would have no need for that sled.

What brand/model of radial arm saw do you have? My guess (from experience) is that you would be very, very lucky to find a RAS that would hold a 90 degree crosscut tolerance consistently for ~$180; YMMV.

Doug
(12-18-2019, 10:42 AM)Tapper Wrote: What brand/model of radial arm saw do you have? My guess (from experience) is that you would be very, very lucky to find a RAS that would hold a 90 degree crosscut tolerance consistently for ~$180; YMMV.

Doug

I bought my Dewalt GWI for $150 and it holds square really well.  There are good old RAS's to be had for cheap.  The smaller Dewalt MBF can often be had for less than $150 and they are fantastic trim saws.  But no common saw will give you perfect, repeatable accuracy outside of 90°, and any built in stops it may have. I think that's what the crux of the OP's question revolves around.

John
(12-18-2019, 10:54 AM)jteneyck Wrote:  I bought my Dewalt GWI for $150 and it holds square really well.  There are good old RAS's to be had for cheap.  The smaller Dewalt MBF can often be had for less than $150 and they are fantastic trim saws.  But no common saw will give you perfect, repeatable accuracy outside of 90°, and any built in stops it may have.  I think that's what the crux of the OP's question revolves around.  

John

That is correct.  Ive got a Makita 10 inch sliding miter saw but as said, the accuracy of it and repeatability aren't the best.  What I am looking for is a sled fence that can quickly and easily repeat various cut lengths.  The Incra fence does the fine adjust  but once I leave that position there it no returning to it easily.
(12-18-2019, 10:42 AM)Tapper Wrote: What brand/model of radial arm saw do you have? My guess (from experience) is that you would be very, very lucky to find a RAS that would hold a 90 degree crosscut tolerance consistently for ~$180; YMMV.

Doug

I carefully set the 90 angle when I got it and each time I check it is still is at 90.  For angle cuts I use my 12" chop saw.  And for serious miters I have a dedicated sliding table saw from my picture framing business.  That saw is almost 100% accurate all the time. 

For cabinet work (what I do mostly) the RAS has been fine for cuts up to about 15".

The sled is for 90 degree cuts also.  I also have a home built sled for my table saw.  For short lengths it is fine.  But I have not used it since getting the RAS. 

For longer length boards a sled is nearly useless.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.

Doug

(12-19-2019, 09:35 AM)Cooler Wrote: I carefully set the 90 angle when I got it and each time I check it is still is at 90.  For angle cuts I use my 12" chop saw.  And for serious miters I have a dedicated sliding table saw from my picture framing business.  That saw is almost 100% accurate all the time. 

For cabinet work (what I do mostly) the RAS has been fine for cuts up to about 15".

The sled is for 90 degree cuts also.  I also have a home built sled for my table saw.  For short lengths it is fine.  But I have not used it since getting the RAS. 

For longer length boards a sled is nearly useless.

One more time.

Doug