Craftsman Jointer Motor Bearings
I agree with Steve, I’d grease those up if possible.
(12-15-2019, 11:50 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Previous advice about removal is good.

My experience with replacing bearings in Craftsman tools/equipment for over 40 years is this:

Bearings have a number printed/etched on one of the races. This number is used to find replacement bearings. The numbers are industry wide----except for Craftsman bearings. Matching numbers does not mean the new bearings are the exact match. In fact, I do not remember ever finding an exact match for a Craftsman bearing using the numbers. What I had to do was take the old bearing to a bearing retailer so they could measure all the important dimensions and find a suitable replacement.

Some older Craftsman machines used bearings with a metric outside diameter and a fractional inside diameter. An example is a 6202-5/8, which has a standard outer diameter of 35mm but a bore sized to fit a 5/8 inch shaft. It looks like a standard 6202 bearing, but you would need to measure it to determine the exact size.That's where you would need to measure it yourself or take it to a bearing supply house, as K.L. McReynolds said above.
Rick W
OP here. Big surprise when I pounded out the motor bearing. Thanks to the suggestions here, I put the aluminum bell under a heat lamp for a minute, then tapped out the bearing. BUT, only one end has a bearing. The end with the cap (bottom photo) is just a bushing! No bearing at all. Amazing since this is a motor presumably meant to last a lifetime without lubrication. —Peter
That bushing is impregnated with lube.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Don’t knock a good oil-impregnated sleeve bearing, they can provide great performance.
It was that bushing that was locked up. Of course, it is loose now. Should I cook it in oil before putting everything back together?
You can, yes. .............
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Sounds like you will be all good very shortly.

Smile
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me