Teaching Woodturning
My dad hosted a group of Boy Scouts this weekend and asked me to teach some woodturning. The idea was they would make plates. I opted to figure out a way to do the turning with carbide tools. I only had 20 minutes or so per scout. Rounding the plates off and dishing them out would have gone more smoothly with a gouge, , even with me rounding the corners off on my bandsaw. Beforehand. The scouts all produced something they could eat off of. I was surprised my instruction was that effective.

If we do this again I’m going to figure out a spindle project they can do. It will go a lot faster and I think it will be less intimidating.

(12-15-2019, 07:38 PM)crokett™ Wrote: My dad hosted a group of Boy Scouts this weekend and asked me to teach some woodturning.  The idea was they would make plates.  I opted to figure out a way to do the turning with carbide tools.  I only had 20 minutes or so per scout.  Rounding the plates off and dishing them out would have gone more smoothly with a gouge, , even with me rounding the corners off on my bandsaw. Beforehand.  The scouts all produced something they could eat off of.   I was surprised my instruction was that effective.

If we do this again I’m going to figure out a spindle project they can do.  It will go a lot faster and I think it will be less intimidating.

I usually teach them with a pen

Tops are cool too
Ambischous project for first time teaching.  Well done buddy!!!!!!

If you can get someone to take pictures of the projects afterwards.  How to you like the feeling of teaching?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Way to go !
Smile
I don’t think we got pictures of the finished plates. We also had an issue where I told my dad to glue a waste block to the plate blank to screw a face plate to. I was thinking of my 2.5” faceplate and we would just part it off. Instead he has a 6”. Parting that much wood didn’t work very well.

I enjoyed the teaching after I figured out how to explain some of the concepts. I got better as I went along.

(12-15-2019, 07:38 PM)crokett™ Wrote: My dad hosted a group of Boy Scouts this weekend and asked me to teach some woodturning.  The idea was they would make plates.  I opted to figure out a way to do the turning with carbide tools.  I only had 20 minutes or so per scout.  Rounding the plates off and dishing them out would have gone more smoothly with a gouge, , even with me rounding the corners off on my bandsaw. Beforehand.  The scouts all produced something they could eat off of.   I was surprised my instruction was that effective.

If we do this again I’m going to figure out a spindle project they can do.  It will go a lot faster and I think it will be less intimidating.

Great job!  I've been teaching woodturning at our local makerspace, and it really challenging.  Some people get it right away, and some shouldn't be allowed near tools!
I had one of each. One who shouldn’t be near tools and another where things just clicked. I showed him a spindle gouge and how to use it. He did pretty well with it.