Woodsmith Coasters...
Not quite as easy as the article implies....
Smirk 

But, they're done! Paduak & Wenge.

[Image: o4eHasG.jpg]

[Image: XScXevL.jpg]

[Image: lTZo5CU.jpg]

I started out wanting to make 5 sets, but I had a few blowouts. I think part of it was the paduak, and part of it was holding a bit too tight in the jig. Shipped'em out today for family Christmas gifts. I hope they like'em...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Well Dave, they look fantastic
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Great project. Something different. I saw the plans and thought about them for Christmas presents too. Maybe next year. Didn't even get started on them. I'm a little slow I guess.
You did a very nice job... well done. I looked at the project too and thought it was really cool. However, the main purpose for coasters is to keep the moisture (water or whatever) off of the wood furniture and these coasters would allow for water to drip on my end tables. Which nixed the whole project for me.
Very nice gifts, I'm sure they will be treasured.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-17-2019, 08:04 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: You did a very nice job... well done. I looked at the project too and thought it was really cool. However, the main purpose for coasters is to keep the moisture (water or whatever) off of the wood furniture and these coasters would allow for water to drip on my end tables. Which nixed the whole project for me.
Yup, trivets, not coasters, if you consider function.  Nice woodworking, though.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Geez, they look fantastic. Super workmanship.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Looks good to me. Is that a David R Ray coffee cup I see? Shared pier space with her in San Diego and Long Beach.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
Beautiful, Dave! Years ago I made several coasters that were larger than these, based on an article in Wood magazine. They were all done on a lathe using a shop-made jig. When finished, I vowed never to do it again. They turned out fine, but it was excruciating work and nerve wracking. 
Uhoh

Your patience must be next to godliness.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(12-17-2019, 08:04 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: the main purpose for coasters is to keep the moisture (water or whatever) off of the wood furniture...

The folks these are going to usually finish their drinks pretty quickly, so I figured they'd be okay....
Winkgrin
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."