chisel holder
(12-16-2019, 08:23 PM)mongo Wrote: My favorite is the one from lienielsen.  It is not inexpensive however it is very well made.

Before I got that I used a normal eclipse guide.

I take it it's really worth the 15x uplift in price?

After 20 some years, I think it's about time to replace my eclipse..
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
Worth it to me... yes. Makes things faster easier and I am not fighting the tool the whole time to keep things square. I have little enough time in the shop to spend it fighting tools, and it because its easy I am more likely to sharpen as needed..... other people will disagree. Some people like to work wood some people like to work on tools. Neither is wrong(if its a hobby) just figure out where you fall on that spectrum.
(12-22-2019, 04:41 PM)mstens Wrote: I take it it's really worth the 15x uplift in price?

After 20 some years, I think it's about time to replace my eclipse..

Note that the LN skew holders only work with LN skew angles. The LV skew attachment will take pretty much anything.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(12-22-2019, 08:50 PM)cputnam Wrote: Note that the LN skew holders only work with LN skew angles.  The LV skew attachment will take pretty much anything.

The mk II?  I wasn't a fan of the mk I when I tried it. I had issues getting it to clamp as securely, and the narrow wheel was a detriment for me (I like the narrow wheel on the eclipse for hitting the edges of irons).

Or, is there another I've not seen.. I haven't actually been shopping, I'd pretty much figured I'd just get another eclipse (or a clone really).
mike
Hmmm...well, here is what I have been using...
Rolleyes 

Old MK1 plate to set the bevel angle.    Irwin Marples guide to hold a chisel or plane iron....
Winkgrin 

Narex 6mm Mortise chisel.   Angle was set at 25 degrees.   Honed to 2500 grit, then stropped.   Actually sharpened 3 chisels last night...

As the ends were getting worn, and rounded...   Now have a single bevel...

Honing guide does have a bit too much blue paint....intend to strip as much as I can, later....grip seems fine, right now.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-22-2019, 09:53 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmmm...well, here is what I have been using...
Rolleyes 

Old MK1 plate to set the bevel angle.    Irwin Marples guide to hold a chisel or plane iron....
Winkgrin 

Narex 6mm Mortise chisel.   Angle was set at 25 degrees.   Honed to 2500 grit, then stropped.   Actually sharpened 3 chisels last night...

As the ends were getting worn, and rounded...   Now have a single bevel...

Honing guide does have a bit too much blue paint....intend to strip as much as I can, later....grip seems fine, right now.

That guide looks like an eclipse clone (with paint added) 
Smile
mike