Prefinishing?
I am building a large hall bench that has to be assembled in place. There are several large pieces that have dados cut into them. This is in red oak and I am planning on staining it. My thought was to stain and put a couple coats of clear on before making the dados. Once the dados are cut I can mask them off and apply a couple more coats of clear to fix any small scratches. I will be making the dados with a router and straight edge. I was thinking this might be easier than trying to stain around the dados. I know I will have to be careful not to scratch through the clear to the stain but is there any other reason not to do this?
(12-18-2019, 10:15 AM)CEPenworks Wrote: I am building a large hall bench that has to be assembled in place. There are several large pieces that have dados cut into them. This is in red oak and I am planning on staining it. My thought was to stain and put a couple coats of clear on before making the dados. Once the dados are cut I can mask them off and apply a couple more coats of clear to fix any small scratches. I will be making the dados with a router and straight edge. I was thinking this might be easier than trying to stain around the dados. I know I will have to be careful not to scratch through the clear to the stain but is there any other reason not to do this?

I would cut the joinery first.  Put a piece of masking tape or foam backer rod in the dados to keep the stain and finish out.  If a little leaks in it's no big deal.   

John
I'd cut the joints first (you will bork the finish otherwise) and the only reason I'd bother to mask is if I was spraying the finish. Otherwise it's pretty easy to not get finish in the joint IMO.
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
With the cutoffs I will make some blanks to put in the dados. I will be spraying the clear.