Why interchangeable handles on tools?
OK, warning: Experienced woodworker but a 60 year old fresh newbie to wood-turning here.  I just purchased a Jet midi lathe and I'm considering some *carbide turning tools to get started.

*(Yes, I know HSS are better but carbide are easier to learn with and I don't have a grinder or sharpening jigs yet.)

Anyway; as I've looked at the carbide tools available, I've noticed that several offer them as different shafts that are swapped out onto a universal handle. Often requiring an allen wrench or other tool. Now this doesn't make much sense to me. Why not just give each one a handle and skip all this time spent swapping back & forth.

Once again I'll repeat, I'm new to this so maybe I'm just not considering something important. Before I purchase anything, what am I missing?
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
I use a belt sander to edge my tools.  The vertical 6 inch disc make a quick touch up possible. Eventualy you'll have to regrind the bevel. I take less off and get sharp edges. I started with the Harbor Freight [Red] handled turning chisels to learn uses and sharpening. I have seen and handled the cheaper sets, not worth the money or effort. They are a set for  spindle work but a good starting set. Not to mention your not grinding away expensive metal in the learning process. I still have them on hand even though they have been repurposed.
(12-18-2019, 11:04 AM)Terry W Wrote: OK, warning: Experienced woodworker but a 60 year old fresh newbie to wood-turning here.  I just purchased a Jet midi lathe and I'm considering some *carbide turning tools to get started.

*(Yes, I know HSS are better but carbide are easier to learn with and I don't have a grinder or sharpening jigs yet.)

Anyway; as I've looked at the carbide tools available, I've noticed that several offer them as different shafts that are swapped out onto a universal handle. Often requiring an allen wrench or other tool. Now this doesn't make much sense to me. Why not just give each one a handle and skip all this time spent swapping back & forth.

Once again I'll repeat, I'm new to this so maybe I'm just not considering something important. Before I purchase anything, what am I missing?

Terry

I do not think you missed anything
I too have noticed the packaged deals on turning tools with just one handle
I purchased one of these deals. I also purchased a set of handles for each shaft, as I to did not understand why only one handle
When I was purchasing the tools I did notice that I could purchase the handles for far less then what they were charging if they included the handles
I got matching handles for only $15 each which is far less then I was expecting to find them
I did find out that one of the turning tools I ordered did not offer a 1/2" shaft that would fit the handles, it only came with a 5/8" shaft
So all I did was take the shaft to my bench grinder and took off 1/8" to make it fit
Now I have a full set of carbide turning tools with matching handles
(12-18-2019, 11:04 AM)Terry W Wrote: OK, warning: Experienced woodworker but a 60 year old fresh newbie to wood-turning here.  I just purchased a Jet midi lathe and I'm considering some *carbide turning tools to get started.

There are advantages to HSS tools, to carbide tools, and to some of the fancy new steels. I have and use some of each.

The carbide tools have definitely been easier for some of my family to learn on. They did develop a love of bowl gouges for larger bowls, though, as long as they did not have to sharpen them.

Early in my learning to turn, I completely wore out an Easy Wood carbide cutter on a piece of magnolia on a Jet mini lathe before I ever got the outside shape cleaned up. It was apparently a very unusual blank and I have not met anyone else with that type of experience with magnolia. For me and based on that experience, I decided that I could not afford enough cutters to do the turnings that I wanted to do.

As to the handles: if someone can sell you handles separately, then they can usually sell you the steel portion of the tools cheaper without the handles. Beyond that, some people like to make their own handles or they like handles made by other companies/makers than the steel part. In addition, some of the longer gouges are easier to sharpen at the grinder when the handles are removed. I also find it easier to carry turning tools with me when I go to visit the kids' shop if I carry them disassembled and I usually only carry a few handles. It is just easier to pack that way.

If you decide to make your own handles, you can turn brass plumbing fittings to make ferrules using your wood turning tools. For the Woodturning 101 course here, they used short lengths of copper pipe for ferrules.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.