chusel sharpening
(12-19-2019, 05:19 PM)AHill Wrote: Not all sandpaper is silicon carbide.  Norton 3x and 3M are usually aluminum oxide, which doesn't break down as quickly as SC, so it lasts longer.  Silicon carbide is harder and sharper than AO.  AO sandpaper is more common than SC.  You can use either for scary sharp.  Take my comment with a grain of salt.  I didn't write a book on sharpening.  
Smile

All true, but the black Wet-or-Dry mentioned earlier is SiC. Works great for a short time. AO is superior for sharpening and the Mylar-film self-stick is my fave.
Ron Hock
HOCK TOOLS
(12-30-2019, 01:26 PM)Ron Hock Wrote: All true, but the black Wet-or-Dry mentioned earlier is SiC. Works great for a short time. AO is superior for sharpening and the Mylar-film self-stick is my fave.

The diamond lapping discs are cheap and can be used like a flat rectangular hone..You don't need a WorkSharp to sharpen chisels or plane irons if you want to just do them without power..Use a little WD40 when honing and you are good to go. They are diamond plated steel discs, available in many grit sizes...they are very flat, cut fast and last a long time.

Amazon has them.........
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset