An unusual project for me
A lady who I've done quite a lot of work for called me a week or so ago and asked if I could make a plaque for her as a Xmas present for her son and wife who live in TX and are coming here for the Holidays.  "I'm not much of a plaque maker.  There must be a lot of people around who would do a better job." I said.   "I can't find anyone." she replied, and "You can do anything."  How do you say no to a very sweet 83 year lady?  I can't.   

OK, I mulled it over while I was skiing last week and decided to try to do it as a bas relief.  I didn't have any basswood but I had some willow that I had milled at least 10 years ago that was soft and even grained and decided to try using it.  It was like butter.  I'm not a carver by any means, and it was a bit of trial and error with the limited selection of carving tools I have, and even more limited skill, but I enjoyed the process and thought the end result came out pretty well.  I took the unfinished piece up to show the lady and she liked it.  I asked how she wanted me to finish the edges and what color she wanted and I got the classic "Oh do whatever you think looks best.  I'm sure I'll like it."  Should have guessed that.  

I still have to spray a couple of clearcoats to finish it, but here is what it looks like after the shellac toner coats.

[Image: R3dpAnb5MXjhpHvugjnL29H7wiWGJY-P57Axqcpp...13-h626-no]

Nice diversion from my typical work.  

John
Well done. No one knows what they can accomplish if they never try in the first place.

I think you did just fine!!

Yes
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Did the photo not show up for anyone else? I don't have it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-20-2019, 06:15 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Did the photo not show up for anyone else? I don't have it.

John, I'd love to see the photo.  I'm with Fred - can't see it.
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
(12-20-2019, 06:15 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Did the photo not show up for anyone else? I don't have it.

i don't see it either.

RP
Can't see the photo. Would love to see it.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
No pic here either. Win 10 & Chrome

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I can't see it either.

P
I miss nested quotes..........
(12-20-2019, 09:20 AM)PedroOhare Wrote: I can't see it either.

P

No idea why.  How about now?  

John
(12-20-2019, 09:36 AM)jteneyck Wrote: No idea why.  How about now?
John
It works for me John.

I love being pushed to go where I've never been 
Wink I built an altar for my church only after the priest reminded me I mentioned making one, even though I didn't remember that. But priests don't lie.