Children's Chair Seat
I'm building some children's rocking chairs. the seat dimensions:

Depth - 13"
Width at the front - 11"
Width at the back - 8"

My question: To make the seat comfortable, how deep a recession should I carve out of the top?

Thx, Jeff

Edit: Added a drawing of the chair for reference

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeff in Los Angeles
For a child sized chair it probably doesn't need to have a whole lot of "butt scoop". Maybe just enough for a bit of countour. I'm thinking though, the seat is a bit narrow where it needs to be wider.
(12-23-2019, 03:59 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: For a child sized chair it probably doesn't need to have a whole lot of "butt scoop". Maybe just enough for a bit of contour. I'm thinking though, the seat is a bit narrow where it needs to be wider.

Thanks for the reply. The dimensions are copied from an old chair I have. 

Would you say 1/4", 3/8"?
Jeff in Los Angeles
(12-23-2019, 04:18 PM)MVWoodworks Wrote: Thanks for the reply. The dimensions are copied from an old chair I have. 

You really don't need much 1/4" would do it. I built Modern style chairs for my kids out of plywood when they were young. They sat in them for hours on end. I suspect on childrens chairs it's really just more visual so just go with what looks good in proportion .
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
(12-23-2019, 04:18 PM)MVWoodworks Wrote: Thanks for the reply. The dimensions are copied from an old chair I have. 

Maybe the lack of scale makes it difficult to tell about the width.

1/4 in. would be plenty.
(12-23-2019, 03:59 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: For a child sized chair it probably doesn't need to have a whole lot of "butt scoop". Maybe just enough for a bit of countour. I'm thinking though, the seat is a bit narrow where it needs to be wider.

Just went back and checked the seat dimensions. You are right.  Front is 13 1/2" and back is 10 1/4".
Jeff in Los Angeles
(12-23-2019, 11:08 PM)MVWoodworks Wrote: Just went back and checked the seat dimensions. You are right.  Front is 13 1/2" and back is 10 1/4".

How wide is it at the narrowest point? Are you going to redesign the seat?

I've been thinking on it because as it is, the seat goes nicely with the back but it does seem like it would be uncomfortable even for a child. Well, maybe a small child would be fine.
(12-24-2019, 12:17 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: How wide is it at the narrowest point? Are you going to redesign the seat?

The narrowest point is at the back - 10"
Jeff in Los Angeles